UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2010, 9:53 pm   #1
whereistom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Converting 800 series Australian phone for UK?

Hi,

I've just bought a couple of old Australian phones for next to nothing on ebay, and I'm wondering if I can convert them to work on the UK network. Has anyone done this before, or does anyone know of a decent resource on the web? Google isn't helping me

I'm guessing from this site that they are 802 series: http://www.bobsoldphones.net/Pages/T.../800series.htm

I've converted a few UK phones (746, 706 and trimphones) so know how to move wires about, but don't yet have any real understanding of what I'm looking at or how they work, so any links or advice very appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom
Old 13th Sep 2010, 10:37 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Converting 800 series Australian phone for UK?

Hi,
I have a couple of 800 series phones in my collection, luckily I was in Australia at the time they were purchased so, whilst over there, obtained some in line sockets from Tandy and wired them to a UK line cord.

I will dig mine out, have a look, and post some conversion details for you (if someone else doesn't beat me to it first)

If you do mange to get hold of in - line sockets the bell circuit is wired in series, in a similar fashion to the "old" way of GPO wiring, so you have to link a couple of the pins in the sockets to get the bells to ring.

I think that some of the more modern Australian 800 telephones use an RJ11 plug so all that you need is a suitable adapter, an ADSL filter would probably suffice.

This page may also be of use

Regards
Andrew

Last edited by AndiiT; 13th Sep 2010 at 10:39 pm. Reason: Added URL
Old 18th Sep 2010, 3:04 pm   #3
whereistom
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Andrew. I'm actually about to be in Australia for a few weeks with work, so will have a look while I'm out there!
Old 18th Sep 2010, 6:33 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
I am having a busier weekend than first expected but will try to dig out my 800 series telephones for you tomorrow evening and post some modification/wiring details.

Co-incidentally we currently have visitors from Australia staying here with us!

Regards
Andrew
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 8:02 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
Apologies for the delay in replying. As far as I can work out, if your telephone is a standard dial type 800 telephone, you can convert it to UK working by wiring as follows -

RED of UK line cord to terminal B on PCB
WHITE of UK line cord to terminal A
3k3 resistor, or link, between terminals A and P1
Remove link C1 - GS4
BLUE of UK line cord to GS4

Regards
Andrew
Old 3rd Jul 2011, 6:43 pm   #6
whereistom
Retired Dormant Member

Hi there,

Sorry for the (very!) long delay in replying to this - I was out of the country for a few months, then with work various other things it's only the past few weeks that I've managed to get back to my phones.

Finally got my Aus 802 working today. AndiiT - thanks! Those instructions allowed my phone to do everything except ring when called. With the invaluable help of Bob at www.britishtelephones.com, it turned out that for some reason there was an extra unnecessary connection in there - when removed, and wired up as above it worked.

For anyone else trying to do the same thing, I've attached a diagram of how the phone should be wired up with a UK cord.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	802-aus-correct-wiring-for-UK.gif
Views:	98
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	53356  
Closed Thread