UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2009, 9:04 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Default Steam and vintage gala October 10 and 11 at Cheltenham

Hello there,
Hope that this is the right place to put this.

On Saturday and Sunday October 10th and 11th is tha annual steam and vintage gala of the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway. This year it will be held at Cheltenam racecource. There will be a steam service running both days from Toddingto to the racecource and the steam fair will have many attractions.
There are 90 vintage tractors turning up as well as vintage cars, traction engines, stalls a beer tent and much more.

I will be volunteering the week before the show putting up the show ring putting up signs and genrally being a handyman

The entrance is £6 for adults and £5 consessions.
It went well last year and with a few vintage radios and telephones on the stalls for good measure as well.

Christopher Capener
Old 7th Oct 2009, 10:06 am   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Steam and vintage gala October 10 and 11 at Cheltenham

Just "bumping" this for Chris since it's this weekend.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Oct 2009, 6:51 pm   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Hello there,
Many thanks for that!! I have spent the day in the show field marking out where the exhibits and stands will be and starting to put all of the signs up.

Tomorrow is the big assembly day for the show as the beer tent is arriving (the important bit!!) as well as all of the orange netting for the ring and the PA system will be also set up.

The weekend weather dosent look too bad a bit chilly but it should remain dry. The field is quite firm even with all the rain we have had over the last few days. All of the public parking will be on hard ground on the racecource site so no one should get stuck!

Christopher Capener
Old 12th Oct 2009, 7:03 pm   #4
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Steam and vintage gala October 10 and 11 at Cheltenham

Hello there,
Now the steam and vintage gala is now over and the field is all tidied up, it was a very good event.

Unfortunatly I came down with a bad cold over the weekend but I was determined to help out being on the exhibitors early saturday morning and then on the gate from 7:30 Sunday morning before tractor marshalling vintage tractors in and out of the show ring.

We had 700 more people on the Saturday than last year, althouth the rain Sunday late morning put a few people off. We also had a 160 vehicle vintage road run ending up on site on the Sunday which made fitting them all in rather interesting.

There were no old valve things in the trade stands this year although there were a few dial telephones and an ancient electric washing machine were for sale.

Did anyone here go along ? There were certainly a lot of people around on the Saturday. The beer tent was a bit dissapointing with only 1 real ale on . There was a disco on the Saturday night but it was so auwful that it cleared the beer tent quicker than letting off mustard gas in there

It is hoped that it will be on again next year and hopefully after the washup meeting it will be so much the better. So if anyone went along and found it good or bad (apart from the weather ) then please let me know and I will bring it up at the meeting.

Many thanks for the support all those that visited the show over the weekend!
Christopher Capener
Old 12th Oct 2009, 7:26 pm   #5
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
I should really be into steam but it never really did any thing for me.
My Grandfather HCS Bullock MBE (my mothers side) constructed many minature engines and railways, they were mostly around Surrey but one is in Arbroath although not generally known as his.
I have quite a few family photos of his engines and of course his excellent book written by my late uncle Ken Bullock.
Cheers
Trevor
Old 12th Oct 2009, 11:08 pm   #6
glowinganode
Octode

That name rings a bell. Was he anything to do with the Great Cockrow railway in Chertsey, Surrey? I shall mention this to my father, who is a commitee member of the Southern Federation of Model Engineers. Miniature Engineering societies are always very interested in their heritage. The chances are the locomotives he built are still in existance, if you are interested in tracing them. Feel free to PM me if you wish to take this further.
Kindest regards, Rob.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 13th Oct 2009 at 3:22 pm. Reason: unnecessary quote removed
Closed Thread