UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2013, 2:23 pm   #21
telstar
Octode

Default Re: BVWS Bulletin Winter

Hi My magazine arrived with the envelope ripped. At first I thought that the dvd was missing until I read the bulletin about its abscence. As much as I enjoy viewing the dvds, I understand that cutbacks had to be made. However, I would have liked to have had other cd roms on service data other than the ones issued as W.E.T series, such as B.R.T.R & others which illustrate radios not covered by the W.E.T cd-roms.
I would like to see more in the Bulletin about vintage radio repairs, not tv or other items. However, I did enjoy the repair article on the large radio that someone had written about (apparently someone in France had given him details about their version of that radio) - quite an impressive looking receiver.
The Bulletin is still a real good read having said that, though!
Cheers
Mike
Old 10th Dec 2013, 6:07 pm   #22
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The range of articles is what members write and send to the Bulletin Editor. He tries to get a balanced mix of those available to him in each edition, but clearly if there aren't many radio related articles sent in then there won't be many in the bulletins.

If you have an interesting restoration story to tell then I'm sure Carl would be pleased to include it.

Radiophile magazine is more radio related I think (I haven't subscribed for a couple of years) so it may be worth you subscribing to that as well if you don't already.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 11th Dec 2013, 4:46 pm   #23
telstar
Octode

Hi Paul. Many thanks for your reply. It is a shame that more members of the BVWS aren't showing their repairs in the magazine/bulletin. If I had the time, I would contribute.
Even Radiophile aren't showing many repairs in their magazine (I am a subscriber of both). There has only been items about small American style sets, but no radios that we would recognise (such as Murphy, Bush, etc).
Someone told me that Radio Bygones have started items on radio restoration (domestic) - usually they cover military radios.
Mike
Old 11th Dec 2013, 5:15 pm   #24
Station X

Radio Bygones has been carrying articles on the restoration of domestic sets for some time.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Dec 2013, 5:50 pm   #25
threeseven
Octode

The magnitude of the restoration articles in the Bulletin I find very impressive and I'm actually a little awed by them, to the point where I feel deterred from trying to compete by producing my own humble efforts!
Old 11th Dec 2013, 6:34 pm   #26
Robert Darwent
Heptode

My advice would be to go for it and not be deterred. I've had several articles appear in the BVWS Bulletin to-date, the first being in the Winter 2010 issue.

I felt exactly the way you do now at the start and thought my own efforts wouldn't be good enough, but my 4th submission actually won me the Geoffrey Dixon-Nuttall award of 2011 for best restoration article!

No one was more surprised than me when that happened, but the buzz it gave to have tried and succeeded in winning something has to be experienced to be appreciated.

The editor, Carl Glover, is very adept at turning anything sent to him into a professional looking article - when you see your efforts reproduced in the glossy magazine format you'll be amazed.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 11th Dec 2013, 7:27 pm   #27
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Can Ii say while all are different to a degree, the magazines mentioned are all excellent.
Old 12th Dec 2013, 6:31 pm   #28
Dickie
Octode

Still waiting for mine to arrive. Very frustrating

Are they all despatched at the same time?

Richard, BVWS member
Old 12th Dec 2013, 8:08 pm   #29
Robert Darwent
Heptode

I believe they are all posted together over a day or two, so it should be with you by now. I had one go astray a few years ago and contacted the membership secretary, currently Martyn Bennett (membership@bvws.org.uk), who promptly sent out a replacement.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 13th Dec 2013, 11:56 am   #30
Paul Stenning
Administrator

They are usually dispatched over a couple of days at most. If it hasn't arrived by Monday contact Mike or Martyn who will arrange a replacement.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 13th Dec 2013, 5:26 pm   #31
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Radio Bygones has been carrying articles on the restoration of domestic sets for some time.
Hi. Yes I am aware of Radio Bygones having items on domestic receivers. I bought some back copies on purpose for some of my restoration jobs. What I meant was someone said that they were doing much more in recent mags.
Cheers
Mike
Old 15th Dec 2013, 11:03 am   #32
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It takes a considerable amount of effort to produce, transport, add extra information sheets, calendars, DVD's and what have you. This work is done manually at the VWTM by helpers. 1500 envelopes have to be addressed, stamped and signed off. The Royal Mail will charge for any extra services that are not carried out before posting. All great ideas but rubber stamping the envelopes would do very little especially this time of the year when the first priority is delivery. Thicker envelopes would add to the cost and the horrendous postage .
I have worked for the RM as a artic delivery driver to hubs from Guildford to Yorkshire/Portsmouth encompassing just about everything in between and believe me the very greatest of care is taken with all parcels and letter post down to the smallest items. I can personally vouch for this having seen the inquest that is carried out on the rare occasions when an item is damaged.
A bit of advice would be: Fit an accessible letter box that will accommodate a full size A4 Envelope without bending. Victorian letter boxes were for post cards and tiny envelopes.
All the best for Christmas and 2014. John
Old 15th Dec 2013, 8:25 pm   #33
Restoration73
Nonode

Members should remember the magazine incorporates "405 Alive" and I would welcome
more TV articles, in fact I may submit one - my other two articles went straight in
unmodified although I did my best to comply with the magazine style.
I have been lucky with the post perhaps being closer to the despatch point, indeed
I have only seen damaged envelopes in torrential rain conditions.
Cheers
Tony
Old 31st Dec 2013, 2:23 am   #34
ianj
Heptode

I recall many occasions "stuffing envelopes" with Gerry and Eileen MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO REMEMBER! lol...
Closed Thread