UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2005, 4:32 pm   #1
Peter
Retired Dormant Member

Default Simple Crystal radio

hi.

Just though I'd post this. Its a very simple crysal radio. The nice thing is its cheep.. No tuning cap. Diode yes...

The coil is 5" diamiter with 40 turns of 24 swg space of 24 swg. Bit ricky but stick to it. Now at 5 turns tap off. keep going 5 turns tap and so on. For tuning just latch on the diode to a tap for station.

As they say brill...

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xl this.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1944   Click image for larger version

Name:	sct..jpg
Views:	269
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1945  
Old 11th Nov 2005, 8:59 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Simple Crystal radio

Hi Pete, nice and simple, to improve performance wind on cardboard tube or stick matchsticks to plastic tube to space wir off the plastic (about every 2").
This reduces the coil self capacitance and increases it's "Q".

Ed
Old 11th Nov 2005, 11:48 pm   #3
Peter
Retired Dormant Member

hi

Yes what a good idea. Simple,

Thanks
Old 24th Nov 2005, 7:50 pm   #4
Pete_kaye
Octode

I would like to make one of these but i STR that I need high impdance phones .Roughly what value would that be?I have various headphones and earpieces of about 4 to 20 ohms but if the headphones are reduced to min vol I get 50 ohms .I have an old microphone which can be used as a quiet earphone (500ohm);would this do?Does experimenting with aerial length reduce effect of loud stations ?Is a proper earth necessary?Is an OA70 diode ok?
Old 24th Nov 2005, 8:00 pm   #5
Aerodyne
Octode

You are unlikely to need a volume control system. High impedance phones are essential - dunno whether a step-down output transformer would create such inefficiencies as to prevent the receiver functioning. Might be worth a try. Reducing headphones to min volume would not work - all you are doing is adding resistance, not matching up or increasing impedance.
Remember: a crystal set is powered only by the received signal so a good aerial and earth are prerequisites and yes, I believe an OA70 should work OK. (Not that I've tried one!)
-Tony
Old 24th Nov 2005, 8:00 pm   #6
Station X

Quote:
ISTR that I need high impdance phones
You don't need high impedance headphones. I didn't believe it myself until I tried it, but it's true.

Maplin do cheap Crystal Earpieces which work well and are more comfortable than headphones:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...256&doy=24m11D

Graham.
Old 24th Nov 2005, 8:01 pm   #7
Aerodyne
Octode

Quote:

You don't need high impedance headphones. I didn't believe it myself until I tried it, but it's true.

Surely, a crystal earpiece will be high impedance?
-Tony
Old 24th Nov 2005, 8:03 pm   #8
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4ILN

Maplin do cheap Crystal Earpieces which work well and are more comfortable than headphones.

Graham.
Crystal earpieces are usually about 1kohm and are considered high impedence

Mike
Old 24th Nov 2005, 8:09 pm   #9
Station X

I seem to have confused the issue by mentioning crystal earpieces.

Low impedance headphones do work. I've just tried some ex WD C-LRs of 120 ohms total on my Gecophone and they work fine.

Graham.
Old 24th Nov 2005, 8:11 pm   #10
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Pete,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_kaye
I would like to make one of these but i STR that I need high impdance phones .Roughly what value would that be?
5000 ohm or higher. The best for maximum sensitivity is the old type of 'crystal earplugs', which are 1Meg ohm impedance. The oldie headphones in your photo is around the 5000 ohm mark.

Quote:
I have an old microphone which can be used as a quiet earphone (500ohm);would this do?
Everything will work, but very poorly indeed. Even 500 ohm is far from good enough. You need either the old headphones or find a crystal earpiece.

Quote:
Does experimenting with aerial length reduce effect of loud stations ?
In a receiver as simple as the one you show, everything influences reception. Everything else being equal, then a longer antenna equals stronger reception.

Quote:
Is a proper earth necessary?
Yes, absolutely. If you live in an old house, you may be able to use the central heating pipes as an earth, assuming the pipes are metal.

Quote:
Is an OA70 diode ok?
Perfect.

Regards

Frank N.
Old 24th Nov 2005, 8:47 pm   #11
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Basically, the higher the headphone impedance, the better the selectivity. The headphones impedance damps the tuned circuit and lowers the Q of the coil. You can offset this by using a matching transformer.

The reason for better selectivity with a leaky-grid detector is the very high input impedance (~10M) of the valve, bootstrapped by another 1M or so for the grid leak, in the case of a homemade set, the Q is then down to how well you made your coil.

If you are after more sensitivity, you can try biasing the detector to just below the point of conduction - some early crystal sets have a battery for this purpose.

Jim.
Old 24th Nov 2005, 8:50 pm   #12
Station X

This webpage may be of interest to anyone wanting to build a crystal set.

http://earlywireless.com/crystal_sets.htm

Graham.
Old 25th Nov 2005, 8:51 am   #13
Aub
Nonode

When i was a lad, the first crystal set i built used a pair of ex-WD DLR No5 headphones which, if I recall correctly, were balanced armature. I don't know what impedance they were but they worked very well.

Building these little sets is great fun!

73's

Aub
Closed Thread