UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2005, 10:05 am   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Dynatron T.P.38/39 Elan restoration

Hello again,

I have now rebuilt a very nice Dynatron Elan from two scruffy old wrecks, one I acquired at Harpenden earlier in the year and the other was donated by Kneale aka Radio_Doctor.

In the first pic below, mine is the front one, which has a good case, grille (one small scratch), badge, tuning scale, knobs and handle but didnt work ...it went up in smoke !, and the other at the back is Kneales in generally poorer condition cosmetically, a broken aerial and tuning scale but it did work, intermittantly. Both cases were a little worn around the edges, cos unlike Roberts and some Hackers of the period these Dynatrons do not have wooden ends or rounded edges so do tend to collect a few nicks on the corners. I decided to use the case from mine and the chassis from the Kneales and reuse the aerial, tuning scale and the knobs from mine. I was also going to have to remove the grille from mine to clean off some white gunge behind it ....

These are fiddly radios to work on ! Getting the knobs off was the first hurdle cos theyre small and have a smooth finish... grrrr ! The chassis was removed by undoing the two screws on the top, snipping the wires to the earphone socket, snipping one wire to the aerial socket and unclipping the other, and unclipping an earth wire on the loudspeaker chassis. I replaced the aerial, one thing worth mentionning here is that theres a fibre washer which isolates it from the chassis (Kneales was missing) and it fits over the underside of the chassis. I then got it working, after fixing one cold joint which was causing it to cut out intermittantly. I removed the grille, by straightening the tabs accessible after removal of the loudspeaker and by shoving it out from the inside. I removed the handle and then cleaned it and the radio case and then touched up the tiny nicks along the edges of the case with black Tamiya acrylic modelling paint. I reassembled the radio and polished it up with Cockpit Shine and it really has come up near mint

The electronics in this Dynatron are excellent but the wooden case is not as good quality as a Roberts or Hacker and like the Democrat I restored recently modern PP9 batteries dont fit However, it is a very good lively sounding set which will play very loud, on a par with the Roberts R707 and I'm glad Ive at last got a Dynatron, and in such nice condition, to add to my collection of 1960s British made classic transistor radios

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elan1.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	2083   Click image for larger version

Name:	elan2.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	2084   Click image for larger version

Name:	elan3.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	2085  

Last edited by howard; 24th Nov 2005 at 10:16 am.
Old 24th Nov 2005, 10:44 pm   #2
Andrew c
Tetrode

Default Re: Dynatron T.P.38/39 Elan restoration

Hello Haward that Dynatron looks very very good indeed you really do work magic on your radios

Andy
Old 24th Nov 2005, 10:57 pm   #3
ianj
Heptode

Smile Re: Dynatron T.P.38/39 Elan restoration

these are good radios,and I would agree with you, Howard, not quite a HACKER HERALD --and its always nice to have a DYNATRON in your collection!-- although you can buy a brand new DYNATRON badged DAB radio , but it is really a flippin MORPHY RICHARDS!!!!!!!!! ianj
Closed Thread