UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2020, 6:34 pm   #21
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Spirit of the forum, OT?

The only people who can prove they're sane are those with a discharge certificate.
Old 24th May 2020, 6:37 pm   #22
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
I'm very much alone in my hobby within my immediate family who frankly think I am nuts for what I'm interested in.
Until they want something fixed!!
Absolutely the same! The moment something goes wrong however.....!
Old 25th May 2020, 7:12 am   #23
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

The generosity of fellow forum members is overwhelming sometimes. In life you get used to most folk taking advantage, it's humbling when offers of parts etc come out of the blue. Being able to natter about old "rubbish" ( my old mans word for all the big boat anchors he's had to deliver) without folk eyes glazing over and a look of complete non-comprehension and a swift change of subject, is well good.

It's like being in Bedlam but in the section reserved for retired radio engineers, radio and test gear magnets and collectors of magic glass bottles, some folk might think we're all nuts but we know we a select band, an exclusive club carrying on the traditions and ethos of Marconi and Linsay Hood etc..

Andy.
Old 25th May 2020, 8:53 am   #24
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
The only people who can prove they're sane are those with a discharge certificate.
Does that mean if I grab a charged capacitor, receive the shock from it (discharge), I can have a certificate?
Joke aside, most people on this forum are saving landfill, most millennials are quite happy doing the opposite.
Who needs a new mobile phone every year? I wait till it's totally knackered before getting another one.
Old 25th May 2020, 9:38 am   #25
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

I think this is one of the most decent places on line. Long may it continue thus.
Old 25th May 2020, 12:25 pm   #26
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I can only say positive things about the forum and the mods who do a very good job.
Old 25th May 2020, 1:15 pm   #27
deliverance
Heptode

I can only echo other member's comments some good people on here . My family think I am slightly nuts ! With comments like what did you buy that for my reply is simply sod off
Old 25th May 2020, 1:19 pm   #28
Red to black
Nonode

I like that reply deliverance
Old 25th May 2020, 1:24 pm   #29
TonyDuell
Dekatron

A friend once introduced me by saying

"When you first meet Tony you may think he's mildly eccentric. When you get to know him you will realise there's nothing mild about his eccentricies.'

I regard that as a compliment. Certainly as 'normal' people seem to spend a lot of their time watching brain-numbing TV programmes and the like.

As for the 'why do you do it' type of comments I normally just pick one of the hobbies of the questioner that I can't see the enjoyment in and say 'Why do you do <whatever>'. I will add that in my opinion there are only 2 requirements of a hobby :

1) You enjoy it

2) It doesn't harm people unconnected with the hobby.

Vintage radio (TV, tape recorder, record player, computer...) repair/restoration would seem to meet those requirements.

This group has a lot of very friendly, knowledgeable, generous and honest people. Long may it stay that way
Old 25th May 2020, 2:07 pm   #30

Quote:
It doesn't harm people unconnected with the hobby.
And with a bit of luck not harming connected people too!

Old 25th May 2020, 8:36 pm   #31
Radio tirana
Pentode

To quote David Bowie.
'Cause I'd rather stay here
With all the madmen
Than perish with the sad men roaming free
And I'd rather play here
With all the madmen
For I'm quite content they're all as sane
As me.

This forum is a real treasure, I have learnt so much from the postings on here
Long may it continue.

Kind regards RT
Old 25th May 2020, 9:33 pm   #32
ValvoStef
Hexode

The mods are doing a great job, not the easiest task I can imagine, so, yes, a lot of praise goes to the mods who keep this forum clean, safe and honest. The members I have dealt with are very helpful, knowledgeable and honest guys, some I have met in person, that’s what they are. Carry on like this.
Old 25th May 2020, 10:34 pm   #33
linescan87
Heptode

I can safely say that I read the forum every day and have done for over 10 years and having joined 6 years ago. The amount of information in one place is astonishing the great contributors who share their hard earned knowledge freely is incredible.

So many helpful people here and so generous. It has been a pleasure to meet some of them over the years. Long may it continue.

www.youtube.com/c/ojnojirishvintagetvandradio
Old 26th May 2020, 11:42 am   #34
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I have been forum member for 15+ years, very rare I miss a day. I can Ekco most of the comments here. Sorry.

John.
Old 26th May 2020, 7:05 pm   #35
greg_simons
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post

This can be a lonely hobby, I find very few people in real life to talk to about it (especially the family) so the forum is a boon.

Peter
....and the older you get, the fewer there are! I was in the trade for 40 years and over the years, the older ones before me have gone to the great Workshop in the Sky....There are probably only four reasonably local friends that I can have a good technical natter with.
Agree, i was in the the trade over 45 years, when i started the people round me were hard boiled old timers even then, all now sadly gone to the workshop in the sky, i do feel very privileged to have seen it right through to the end, from the gec bt302 sets to the latest biggest lcd panel jobs, this forum in a way replicates the good humoured banter of those days, minus the swearing of course! with other enthusiasts.
Greg.
Old 26th May 2020, 8:52 pm   #36
JohnBG8JMB
Pentode

Who needs a new mobile phone every year? I wait till it's totally knackered before getting another one.

Rick
Who needs a mobile phone anyway? Let alone a so-called smart one?

cheers
John G8JMB

whose 15 year old inherited payg nokia lives in the car for breakdowns and very occasionally incoming 'I'm ready, pick me up at xxx' messages
Old 26th May 2020, 9:15 pm   #37
AC/HL
Dekatron

Few people "need" a smartphone, most features can be accomplished by carrying four or five other items, using public facilities, or staying indoors (topical ATM).
According to statistics, 3.3 billion people do have one, 41.5% of the world's population.
Old 26th May 2020, 9:19 pm   #38
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing Bits! View Post
I would agree, but the batteries have started lasting little more than a year.
Old 26th May 2020, 9:24 pm   #39
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Few people "need" a smartphone, most features can be accomplished by carrying four or five other items, using public facilities, or staying indoors (topical ATM).
According to statistics, 3.3 billion people do have one, 41.5% of the world's population.
For many people their smartphone is their only means of internet access, and that's a big thing for people on low incomes or jobseeking, or even homeless. And for those staying at home, video-calling. I can't use my PC for video-calling as webcams at a sensible price are now unobtainable.

I don't have one, but I'm slightly in awe of people who do and use them to their full potential.
Old 26th May 2020, 10:46 pm   #40
hillmanie
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFoxtrot View Post
And for those staying at home, video-calling. I can't use my PC for video-calling as webcams at a sensible price are now unobtainable.
Is this opportunism sparked by the pandemic? Doesn't seem long since the cheapies were ten a penny, from a fiver up and often in charity shops for less
TT
Closed Thread