UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2019, 3:07 am   #21
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: AM Broadcast Signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
This graph shows the response of an AF band limit filter used by most AM transmitters to limit interference to adjacent channels. As you can see it does not cut off at 4.5Khz but tails off at 6Khz.
To add to that, here is what I have on file in respect of the UK situation.

The original BBC FL4/55 filter, of 1973, steep cut from 5 kHz combined with a 3 dB lift at 5 kHz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	BBC FL4-55 197306.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	192365

The IBA ILR curve, from 1977:

Name:	IBA Technical Reference 197705 ILR Specification p.68.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	192366Click image for larger version

Name:	IBA Technical Reference 197705 ILR Specification p.69.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	192367

And according to this, by 1993, the BBC had eased up slightly on the “brickwall”, with the steep cut -3dB point moved out to 5.8 kHz:

Name:	Sinclair (1993) p.430.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	192368

Cheers,
Old 24th Oct 2019, 9:42 am   #22
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Thanks Synchrodyne, very interesting.
So it looks like the sound quality of some of the AM transmitters has improved slightly since the 1970's especially with the improved compression techniques.
On some of my best radios including my Hacker Hunter RP38A, its now just a joy to listen to BBC R4 on 198Khz.
I notice there is still quite a difference between the commercial stations with Absolute on 1215Khz sounding quite reasonable but some of the Smooth stations sound harsh and flat with the top end of the Audio cut off with to much compression. I wonder if this would be shown on an SDR.
Old 24th Oct 2019, 10:19 am   #23
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

I was lucky enough to work in La Paz in the Andes about 20 years ago doing a media survey. I took with me an HF225 receiver amongst other things.

One local station I heard on MW sounded almost like an FM station. I opened the rx bw to maximum (can't remember now but probably 15kHz) and it sounded excellent! A good strong, not too limited or compressed AM station on a wide-band IF setting sounds excellent. One reason why our so-called 'pantry transmitters' can sound so good.

In Europe the bands are (or were) very crowded and bw restriction is absolutely essential to limit adjacent channel interference, particularly at night. But in less densely populated areas this is much less important, and dare I say it, regulation is probably more casually enforced...
Old 24th Oct 2019, 1:06 pm   #24
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I've just dug out my pre-1997 (last time I had anything to do with domestic MF) notes and performance spec for BBC TX AM broadcasting: 60Hz - 5kHz plus/minus 1db (WRT 1kHz at 40% mod).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	radioperf010.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	192375  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 26th Oct 2019, 2:51 am   #25
Pfraser
Pentode

Ian G4JQT:

Quote:
One local station I heard on MW sounded almost like an FM station. I opened the rx bw to maximum (can't remember now but probably 15kHz) and it sounded excellent! A good strong, not too limited or compressed AM station on a wide-band IF setting sounds excellent. One reason why our so-called 'pantry transmitters' can sound so good.
Indeed. The Radio Monique signal on 963kHz sounded 'like FM' on a Hitachi boombox I had.

I gather that Monique used an Optimod processor, thus demonstrating that they didn't have to be set up for maximum impact.

I believe the Orban Optimod 9100 had a day/night switch, for less bandwidth at night.
Closed Thread