UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2023, 11:17 pm   #1
radiograham
Hexode

Default Bush TV32.

This TV was bought as a parts only set from "high vacuum house" for £15. I picked it up at Golborne in April. First impressions were not good as you can see from the pics, surprisingly all the wound components turned out to be OK which was a surprise, I expected at least one of them to be o/c. Also the main electrolytics seemed to be in good condition. Armed with this knowledge I set about recapping the main deck. The waxys were in horrible condition basically falling apart, just snipping them out of circuit the cardboard was falling apart. I did reach a point where I thought am I wasting my time with this but plodded on, I managed to use spare tags on the boards which although dirty tinned well after a clean. The small electrolytics were replaced with 10uF 450 volt types and I replaced a few high value resistors. I then turned my attention to the various pots. The v/control turned out to be OK but the brilliance pot was o/c, this was replaced with a 50k ww type very similar to the original. All the rest though seized up responded to a good cleaning and lubrication. As regards valves I tested the line output and boost diode, PL81 100% PY81 u/s this was replaced with a used tested one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bush 3.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	278719   Click image for larger version

Name:	bush 4.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	278720   Click image for larger version

Name:	bush 5.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	278721  
Attached Images

Old 25th May 2023, 9:16 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush TV32.

Very rare set and well worth restoring.
Been searching through the Radio and Television books for information about the TV32. No reference in the books I have here. I guess the upper chassis deck resembles the Bush TV36C and the RF unit is similar to later production units with EF80 pentodes.
Link to a TV32 restorations:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=124007

And

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/communit...s/bush-tv32-3/

DFWB.
Old 26th May 2023, 1:05 am   #3
radiograham
Hexode

Hi,continuing on from my last post,the last thing was replacing some of the wiring which had started to crumble.The loom from the rf deck and the one to the scan coils were ok.The one to the crt base was replaced plus the one from the mains in to the on/off switch.I have a auto transformer with taps at 100-150-200-240 used in conjunction with a isolating transformer,I use a small crt for test 100 volt first,then gradually increase to 150.At 150volt there was some signs of life,a blue spark from ey51 anode but no eht.I tacked in a silicon eht diode and we had eht and a raster.I knew the crt in this set was u/s but i had a tube from an old gec set which i thought was a 7201a but it turned out to be a 7203a straight gun triode which of course does not need a ion trap magnet.I fitted this and the only thing different was the focus magnet had to be raised slightly,also fitted a new ey51.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1351.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	278752   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1352.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	278753   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1356.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	278754   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1377.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	278755  
Old 26th May 2023, 1:31 am   #4
radiograham
Hexode

Forgot to say, hope I am not tempting fate but i have always been lucky with my LOPT's. The set is now running on full 240VAC, two hours plus and the overwind is cool as a cucumber, primary same. Lets hope it stays like that, the overwind has a clear plastic cover no pitch present. Whether this has anything to do with it I don't know. Also replaced all the EF80's in RF deck as they were all down to about 2mA anode current, with very little slope.
Old 31st May 2023, 8:26 am   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

I restored a basket case TV32 a few years ago, certainly worse than your example, see here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=124007

These sets do work very well, I was lucky with my CRT, it certainly produces a very good picture.

I see your set also has a large crack, this is in a less noticeable place than mine, so should be an easy repair, do you have a back for your set?

Cheers
Mark
Old 1st Jun 2023, 12:39 am   #6
radiograham
Hexode

Hi, yes a do have the back for mine. The speaker was completely knackered, luckily I had an exact replacement which must have come from a Bush set me and my dad pulled to bits in the 70's. The crack was repaired with super glue and then epoxy on the inside. One thing that is missing is the knobs, the originals were broken beyond repair, don't know if there are any knocking about. At the moment I have two identical cream knobs in place which look quite nice.

Graham.
Old 4th Jun 2023, 8:53 am   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
One thing that is missing is the knobs, the originals were broken beyond repair, don't know if there are any knocking about. At the moment I have two identical cream knobs in place which look quite nice.
Both of the original knobs on my set were damaged with lumps of the skirts missing, luckily I was offered some from a forum member which were fitted on the set.

I have yet to make a back for my set, I am hoping one may turn up.....

Mark
Old 4th Jun 2023, 11:55 am   #8
Cathovisor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiograham View Post
At the moment I have two identical cream knobs in place which look quite nice.
On the front of one of the Bush TV manuals I have, that combination is shown.
Old 5th Jun 2023, 11:22 pm   #9
radiograham
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathovisor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiograham View Post
At the moment I have two identical cream knobs in place which look quite nice.
On the front of one of the Bush TV manuals I have, that combination is shown.
Ah thats interesting,any chance of a picture?
Closed Thread