UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2016, 5:54 pm   #21
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Belling Champion Query

Aha, that's very good to hear of: will be interesting to see whether you get an impression of why they didn't persevere with the push-button arrangement, whether it had any weaknesses or was just dropped on grounds of cost. Development was swift in the early years, toward first a better and safer product then a lighter and cheaper one, before settling down for a long time, with further economies being tried right at the end. It seems at least 80% of the Champions in circulation are from that long middle period, models 91A and 92A with cast bases.
Old 27th Nov 2016, 11:06 pm   #22
kirstyd
Heptode

My parents had one of these back in the early 60's. The 7 year old me decided to stick one of mum's knitting needles in it you can only guess what happened next! Needless to say even at that young age I learned a valuable lesson that day.
Old 1st Dec 2016, 1:48 pm   #23
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I'm glad you survived whether or not the heater did! My No.1's new grille, of the largest mesh I could readily find, wouldn't impede any but the fattest of knitting needles, but at least any AAA cell dropped on it in future will bounce.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grilled no.1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	133660  
Old 10th Dec 2016, 2:57 pm   #24
Brigham
Octode

I've dug out the push-button heater, and it IS a No.3.
Pictures are attached. The porcelain push-button switches are by Arrow, and have an enclosed quick-break action. A later No.83 has tumbler-type switches, by Tucker.
The lamp-holder in the No.3 is a bought-in item in bakelite, and not the 'in-house' pressed steel and Tufnol type more usually encountered.
The elements work fine, of course.
As a footnote, a No.1 was also among the items recovered, and it has no trace of a mesh guard.
More later!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1276.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	134136   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1274.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	134137   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1275.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	134138   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1277.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	134139   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1273.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	134140  

Old 10th Dec 2016, 3:34 pm   #25
paulsherwin

Were these heaters intended to serve as hotplates in places like bedsits? The design of the top certainly gives that impression, though such use would obviously be frowned upon today.
Old 10th Dec 2016, 5:09 pm   #26
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Were these heaters intended to serve as hotplates in places like bedsits?
Oh, definitely. Later Champions have top surfaces that give no ventilation if a pan is placed on them, and a DO NOT COVER decal, but the old models were all designed for use as boiling plates when required. I used my 83A that way myself earlier in the year, in conjunction with a vintage pressure cooker, to help provide a hot bath when the Rayburn's boiler had sprung a leak: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...7&d=1453910029 .

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 10th Dec 2016 at 5:27 pm.
Old 10th Dec 2016, 5:22 pm   #27
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
I've dug out the push-button heater, and it IS a No.3.!
Thought it had to be: thanks for showing us that, which is the only Champion I've seen with push button switching outside the 1942 catalogue entry. Very interesting to know too that my No.1 may well have been marketed without a top mesh, but now there is one it will stay at least during my custodianship. The open base design is quite enough of a mortal danger for one little heater to pose...

Paul
Old 31st Dec 2016, 3:11 am   #28
WreckTangle
Tetrode

I am another fan of these remarkably efficient little heaters and have five 91as in regular use.

The Belling original bulbs are orange coloured incandescent bulbs and not the more modern clear fireglow type although 40W fireglow bulbs make an acceptable replacement. I have also used 40W ruby submarine bulbs for a darker red glow.

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...m&locale=en_EP

Hopefully this link to an original Belling patent will work. It confirms beyond doubt that the original design was intended to be able to boil a kettle.
Closed Thread