UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2014, 1:07 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Kolster-Brandes 625 convertable TV set.

On Saturday I was given a bundle of KB service manuals by a fellow Forum member.
Just about all the service information is about TV sets that we are most familiar with. The OV30, PVP20 etc.
However, one set came to my attention, a type of set I believed KB never made, a 625 convertible receiver. I've always believed that KB made 405 line sets up to mid 1962 and then later that year introduced the dual-standard VV series. Well, it appears that the company did make at least one convertible model, the UV30. The set is a development of the 405 only TV10/20/30 series. Essentially the same chassis metalwork.
Examination of the circuit of the line timebase will reveal many circuit elements of the VV series. I'd guess the line output transformer is the same.
Note the dual width adjustment panel, again, similar to the VV series.
Has anyone got any experiences of this rare set?

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UV30_1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	95581   Click image for larger version

Name:	UV30_2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	95582   Click image for larger version

Name:	UV30_3.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	95583   Click image for larger version

Name:	UV30_4.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	95584  

Last edited by FERNSEH; 28th Jul 2014 at 1:13 pm.
Old 28th Jul 2014, 7:18 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Kolster-Brandes 625 convertable TV set.

A very rare receiver David and I doubt if they produced more than a few hundred. I have never seen one and only one example of the previous model, the 'T' series.
1961-3 were headache years for many manufacturers. The public did not want to buy new receivers untill the decision regarding 625 lines and colour were finally set out by the Pilkington Committee. K.B. like Decca went through a very quiet period but survived. Many famous names did not, in fact the whole heart of our industry collapsed in that period.
I would certainly like to play with one. I bet it was a high performer. It has the makings of the famous VC series that must have been well under development when these models were released. KB were always very slow but sure when new developments took place. A sensible approach I think. Regards, John.
Closed Thread