UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2014, 4:43 pm   #1
ctc15
Pentode

Default Twin panel tubes adhesive advice please

TWIN PANEL TUBES ADHESIVE ADVICE PLEASE

Twin panel tubes are ones which have the protective screen bonded to the screen of the tube. Over the years the adhesive fails and becomes opaque often called a cataract and when very bad the screen will fall off as it did with my EKCO CT104, Mikeys tube is still at the cataract stage.
To make these tubes safe to use the screen needs to be re-fixed to the tube. On the U.S. Videokarma web site they say it is P.V.A. but the only P.V.A. I have used is for wood and it is not clear and will not stick to glass.
I have tried silicon which will stick but is not clear. On Videokarma they just put silicon on the edge to hold the screen in place but I have seen pictures where the screen has broken and it seems to plane glass so I think the adhesive is the protection like the P.V.C. bag Fenbridge screen used on some thorn T.Vs about 1964.
Could anyone with knowledge of tube manufacture or re-guning please help.
KEITH
Old 27th Jul 2014, 5:23 pm   #2

Default Re: Twin panel tubes adhesive advice please

We (work) have LCDs bonded to touch screens (saves two reflecting surfaces) by a jelly like substance. Works a treat, try googling screen laminating or the like. Another thought is try gelatine, make a good thick batch, warm tube and panel, stick together. A waterproof edge coating will stop (hinder) the drying out.

Found this a well http://www.uksealants.co.uk/ceresit-...ne!--p286.html

Last edited by Guest; 27th Jul 2014 at 5:24 pm. Reason: brain started to work

Old 27th Jul 2014, 6:12 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

UK twin panel monochrome tubes have the implosion screen fixed to the CRT faceplate with what looks like some form of silicon. This does not go opaque as the American colour tubes are prone to do.
Any form of organic glue will no doubt break down over an extended period.
I have a number of mono receivers with twin panel tubes and all of them are 100%. The 'adhesive' is soft and has remained so after 50+ years. To put it crudely it has a 'snot' like consistency. Regards, John.
Old 29th Jul 2014, 3:19 pm   #4
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi,

I saw on YouTube where a guy cleaned all the old glue off, after painstakingly working all the way round it from the outside to the middle with a hair dryer to soften the glue, as it hadn't droped off the CRT. Then he refitted the protective screen very precisely with double sided sticky pads placed arround the very edges. Looked extremely fiddly and difficult.

Paul.
Old 29th Jul 2014, 11:48 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near when that one imploded!
Closed Thread