UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2014, 12:06 am   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default How much to sharpen VHS?

I have been watching some good films recently on VHS (thanks to the charity shops) and have been wondering about this. Is there a 'correct' situation or is it purely to taste?

Slider to soft = very natural colours and shimmer free, faces look good, writing looks soft and smudgy.
Slider to centre detent = Looks mostly OK, some sharpening halos and writing looks better.
Sider to sharp = Some footage looks fine, terrible sharpening halos on some items, faces look awful, writing looks amazingly punchy.

At the moment I have it between soft and centre which is fairly good apart from soft writing and some bleed of highlights.

So is there a 'correct amount' of sharpening according to some standard or is it not that specific?

What setting do you prefer?

Cheers, Ian
Old 17th Jul 2014, 12:18 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: How much to sharpen VHS?

If you have it on sharp or edit, the contours are more defined to offset the inevitable softening in copying. For normal viewing it does look harsh! I think the white level is affected.
Old 17th Jul 2014, 12:28 am   #3
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
If you have it on sharp or edit, the contours are more defined to offset the inevitable softening in copying. For normal viewing it does look harsh! I think the white level is affected.
Cheers Ben, yes I tried EDIT and it was similar to SHARP but with better colour I thought. Its all interesting to me!
Old 17th Jul 2014, 5:07 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I suppose that if the technology were still in use, we'd have 'dynamic intellegent sharpening', or something similar.
Sharpening, IMHO, is a bit like an audio loudness control: impressive to start with, but quickly becoming tireing and irritating!
Old 17th Jul 2014, 5:09 pm   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

Don't forget that the TV probably has a degree of sharpening applied to the image as well. With both in operation you may get some odd effects.
Old 20th Jul 2014, 11:23 am   #6
malvision
Pentode

I think its a personal matter of taste,i remember in the 70s and 80s .Visiting friends and family,looking at their tvs and saw some horrible sights.Contrast to low or brightness to high.People with very bright red faces etc

As the red indian once said ITT Tint Control
Closed Thread