UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2006, 11:33 am   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ekco T311 acquired - questions

I have just acquired ons of these sets. I'm pretty sure my parents bought one of these or something very similar shortly after I was born in 1956.

I can't find it listed in the trader sheets though 1278 seems to be fairly close. Any ideas on service data?
Old 17th Sep 2006, 1:41 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco T311

Hello Jeffrey,
Information for the Ekco T310 and T311 is in the 1957/58 Newnes Radio and TV servicing book.
Excellent receivers, easy to get going.

David.
Old 17th Sep 2006, 3:48 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Brilliant sets Jeffrey, The very best of 405. Any problems, bring it over, I love 'em... Regards John. [The T311 is the FM radio version of the T310]
Old 17th Sep 2006, 5:49 pm   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Jeffrey
I used to own one of these for 5 years or so, and repaired a few more at work. Only problems I had were dirty TV/FM switches and various Hunts caps in IF strip - mainly 0.005mfd IIRC.
Make sure acrylic casing of LOPTx is sound!
Old 17th Sep 2006, 6:41 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks guys. I'm now as certain as I can be that I've got the exact set that my parents owned. It had FM radio though we never used it. In fact it was always tuned to BBC because it never seemed to work properly on ITV. If I wanted to watch ITV I went upstairs to the rooms where grandma lived and watched her set which seemed to be permanently tuned to ITV. ISTR it was a DER rented set. It had what must have been a photocell behind a hole in the front panel because the brightness varied if I put my hand over the hole. I still have the table on which the Ekco stood. My 20" Ferguson TX98 main telly currently sits on this table. I think it may have to be evicted.

I hope the mods will forgive a little OT nostalgia. If anyone wants to try and identify this DER set perhaps we should start a new thread.
Old 17th Sep 2006, 9:05 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I decided to sneak a preview of the innards. First sight was an encouraging layer of dust and cobwebs and I hoovered out the worst of them with the help of a small brush. Unfortunately the phantom has been there before me.

The EHT lead is hanging loose, not surprising since it has a "top cap" type connector on it while the CRT has a cavity. The anode of the EHT rectifier is floating in mid air while part of the plastic cradle on which it sits looks like it melted away completely. If that LOPT is still viable I will be very lucky indeed. The CRT is an unknown quantity. If it's the original Mazda then it's chances aren't too good. If it's decent regun then I'm lucky. No label that I can see yet. I haven't taken the chassis out yet - I really don't know when I'll get a round tuit - too many other things going on at the moment.

Cosmetically, the cabinet is a bit scratched on top but should come up reasonably without stripping and refinishing. I'm quite happy for it not to look factory fresh. The knobs seem all present and correct and the back is in good nick except that the rather large "power bulge" has been bashed at one point. Not enough to damage the CRT and certainly not an immediate problem.
Old 17th Sep 2006, 9:46 pm   #7
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hi Jeffrey,

If the EHT arrangements are the same as my TCG316 then the top cap connector goes to a long metrosil that connects to ground......

However, the EHT rec is a worrying problem - Must be a fairly simple dodge to sort that out hopefully!

Cheers
Sean
Old 17th Sep 2006, 11:29 pm   #8
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Jeffrey,

I think you're missing what I've found to be broken in my similar Ekco-chassis Dynatron TV30CK. The photo I've posted in my thread might be a clue.

Regards, Kat
Closed Thread