UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2014, 8:38 pm   #1
Ronaykay
Retired Dormant Member

Default EY51 housing.

Hi,
Does anyone remember the Philips models from early 1950's where the EY51 was housed in a "bath" of wax, which had to be melted before you changed the valve and replaced after. The LOP stage was enclosed in a heavy steel cage too.......bad enough on the bench, but in a customers house !!!
Old 30th Jun 2014, 7:41 pm   #2
P.Pilcher
Pentode

Default Re: EY51 housing.

Don't remember the Phillips model but cannot forget the HMV (1860?) which got through EY 51's every six months. They were also mounted horizontally in wax, but provided one was careful to ensure that the soldered joints were nice and rounded without sharp pieces of wire sticking out there was no smell of ozone and the replacement valve would last for the usual six months before replacement was again necessitated.

P.P.
Old 30th Jun 2014, 9:32 pm   #3
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

I remember, the Ultra 81x/91x series had the U25 embedded in a wax-filled tray. They were a pain to replace in customer's houses! many complaints about the stink of molten wax.
However, I don't recall Philips having anything similar. Tony
Old 30th Jun 2014, 9:37 pm   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

I think Philips usually used oil-filled cans.
Old 1st Jul 2014, 8:07 am   #5
PE9ZZ_JO22KI
Pentode

In the early TX400/500 they're not in any substance. Later models had a DY87. The LOPT indeed is in a cage but easily gotten to.

Tjerk, 9ZZ
Old 1st Jul 2014, 11:50 am   #6
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I think several sets had the EHT rec inside the oil filled transformer, the one I particularly remember is the Philips projection set which had three in a tripler circuit, the regulation wasn't good when they were new but when they started aging you could adjust the focus by changing the brightness!

We did have several attempts at a tin opener job to replace them but it was never very successful, a new transformer was about £5.00 my weekly wage at the time.

Peter
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 7:27 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The Philips with the buried EY51 is the 1100U/1446U series [Stella ST8314U] The transformer moulding was manufactured from a hard,strange cream coloured plastic/ceramic material.
The HMV 1854 series mentioned by P.P. was disgusting! A black Bakelite pot sealed with a rubber cap looking a bit like a large ignition coil. It was filled with revolting grease that literally had to be scooped out to gain access to the EY51. Direct TV replacements supplied an open conventional type minus all the gunge of course.
The very early Philips models with 100m/a valves were oil filled but at least they mounted the two EY51's externally.
Murphy were the main users of oil filled LOPT's. The V240/250 series, their first proper Band 3 model had the U25 of all valves sealed inside the stubby can. It was only 28/6d from Murphy and was very simple to fit having only 3 wires. Later models used an external B9A U26 but they persisted with oil other than in a few portables, right up to the end. [759X] The rubber seals leaked after a while causing an oil slick that could not be blamed on the cat. You had to place the set on it's screen front to remove the cabinet/back assembly.. Murphy madness at it's best. Regards, John.
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 11:22 am   #8
Ronaykay
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for that, John. I was beginning to doubt my memory, it was 60 years ago!

Ron.
Closed Thread