UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jun 2020, 2:05 pm   #1
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

Default Axial 1kV/1.5kV LCR PC/HV/S capacitors

Prompted by seeing an enquiry in the wanted section, I have just checked whether my favourite high voltage axial capacitors were still available from CPC and found the range is reduced and the prices much higher than last time I looked:
https://cpc.farnell.com/w/c/electron..._1000002_EN_GB
Farnell still stock a few more values, all at higher prices:
https://uk.farnell.com/w/c/passive-c..._1000002_EN_GB
They are still cheaper than the alternative Kemet A72 series at RS, though:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/passi...Term=Kemet+A72
Old 26th Jun 2020, 3:09 pm   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Axial 1kV/1.5kV LCR PC/HV/S capacitors

I fear that this is a sign of the times! The go-to 400V and 630V Vishay 1813 axial polyesters have been steadily creeping up and up in price in the last few years too. Someone in China is churning out lots of reasonably-priced yellow look-alikes with steel lead-out wires in a 630V rating, but I'm not sure about higher voltage ratings.
Old 29th Jun 2020, 1:47 pm   #3
Gabe001
Octode

Where do you guys get the smoothing caps from?. Axial Kemet capacitors rated 500+ volts are ridiculously expensive and I'm struggling with high voltage radials as well, at least the ones from reputable brands. Availability from major suppliers seems to be hit and miss.

Having had a new capacitor (rated at 600v) fail and take out the rectifier in my GEC after only occasional use, the low cost Chinese ones will remain an option of last resort for me.

Gabriel
Old 29th Jun 2020, 6:07 pm   #4
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Have you tried Cricklewood Electronics? They are trading online and they post PDQ. My only connection is that I have bought from them and had good stuff at reasonable prices and quick delivery (then again, I am in the same city as them, London).
Old 29th Jun 2020, 9:12 pm   #5
slidertogrid
Octode

Don't forget the BVWS stock capacitors I find them to very good and not expensive. That said I have never bought via mail order I have always stocked up at an event.
Old 29th Jun 2020, 10:17 pm   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe001 View Post
Where do you guys get the smoothing caps from?
Going over 500V rating does seem to be a difficult area with electrolytics- "570V MAX" is the highest I've seen on '30s HT electrolytics and things don't seem to have greatly advanced since with uncommon modern 600V types having somewhat poorer temperature, ripple rating, ESR, life expectancy etc. than their 500V stablemates and being disproportionately larger and more expensive, all else being equal. There's obviously a fundamental limitation at this sort of voltage. The world of HF inverter drives has produced high-capacitance plastic film capacitors of 1 to 100uF+ at voltage ratings ranging from 630V to well over 1000V whose ripple current ratings and ESR make electrolytics look pretty lame- whilst they're still somewhat larger and more expensive than comparable electrolytics, it's a competitive market and the difference is less marked than it was in the past.
Old 30th Jun 2020, 11:49 am   #7
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Another source is Just Radios in the USA,with obvious shipping difficulties. They do a minimum order of $25 + shipping, but stock 600V electrolytics and othe high-voltage capacitors:

https://www.justradios.com/cart.html

Again, no connection except being a satisfied customer.

if you are looking for really high voltage stuff, try this:

http://hvstuff.com/

I've never bought from them so I can't really comment further, other than to say I have no connection. Perhaps you could make your mind up while sitting in one of the massage chairs that they sell, too!

Colin.
Old 30th Jun 2020, 12:43 pm   #8
Gabe001
Octode

Thanks for the replies. Ive bought from crinklewood in the past. I don't think I buy in enough bulk to justify buying capacitors from the states just yet.

Does the bvws have an eBay or Facebook marketplace presence? I would do with a few bits and bobs.

Gabriel
Old 1st Jul 2020, 11:22 am   #9
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe001 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Ive bought from crinklewood in the past. I don't think I buy in enough bulk to justify buying capacitors from the states just yet.

Does the bvws have an eBay or Facebook marketplace presence? I would do with a few bits and bobs.

Gabriel
1. At a minimum order of $25, I would say that Just Radios is a reasonable place to buy - a couple or three 600V electrolytics will easily get you near that figure. It's not bulk buying.

2. To buy BVWS capacitors, I think you have to be a member and it's absolutely verboten to get a member to buy for you. I am not a member myself, but several are present on this forum and might be able to give you advice on membership.

Colin.
Old 1st Jul 2020, 3:53 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

All they say is that It's forbidden to sell them on for profit, which is reasonable. Beyond that they become your property. Not all meetings are members only, and you can buy them there as a non-member as far as I know.
Even members only meetings welcome a signed in guest, who can join there if they want. The only exclusion is bidding at auctions, strictly members only.
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 5:25 pm   #11
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Axial 1kV/1.5kV LCR PC/HV/S capacitors

Another up for the BVWS capacitors. Great range including high voltage, high quality electrolytic capacitors and postal order as well as the stand at the BVWS events. Used for all wax/Hunts capacitor replacements for radio and television sets.

Christopher Capener