UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2020, 6:59 am   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Thurlby DSA524 digital storage adaptor - Poor Documentation!

Hi!

I have now bought one of these Thurlby DSA524s in nice condition and I've just begin work on a new set of Circuit Diagrams, which I shall post when complete!

Chris Williams
Old 16th Apr 2020, 9:48 am   #2
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: Thurlby DSA524 digital storage adaptor - Poor Documentation!

Hi Chris
I have built up quite a lot of DSA524 information including some cleaned up drawings and calibration info, if you would like a copy please PM me your email and or phone no if you want to go through it.
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 4:30 pm   #3
hughtmccullough
Diode

I have one of these as well and have done quite a bit of research about it around the various places where it is mentioned on this and other web sites. I have downloaded the Operating and Service Manuals and I can now see the reason for this thread. Would either of you be able to help me with clean copies of the schematics of at least the digital section of the DSA524? I can make out most of the rest but the digital pages are very difficult to make out.
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 9:57 pm   #4
jimmc101
Heptode

I assume that you have seen this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...279#post999279.

I would too would be most interested in any readable schematics.

I have two DSA524s which I use occasionally, the batteries always seemed to be flat when I wanted to use them so when one started to leak I replaced both batteries with a CR2032 coin cell and 1N4148 blocking mounted on the lid, moulded bosses made the mounting easy. The measured the backup current on the two units was 2uA and 0.5uA so battery life should be years.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSA524_CR2032.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	210235  
Old 6th Jul 2020, 6:54 pm   #5
chriswood1900
Octode

Jim and Co please PM me with an email address and I will try to get off all I have in the next few days, its to big to post on the forum.
Old 6th Jul 2020, 7:55 pm   #6
duncanlowe
Nonode

The Nicad batteries leaking also happened to mine. Removal, cleanup and repair made it seem functional though one channel doesn't perform as it should. Another for the roundtuit pile.
Old 8th Jul 2020, 12:55 pm   #7
bobford100
Diode

YHi.

I'm currently working on a DSA524, but as with others on this thread I'm struggling to read the schematics due to poor quality.
I've managed to clean up the easier pages to some extent, with some loss of details though, and have attached to this message in case anyone can make use of them.
I note that Chris mentioned he has cleaned up the service manual schematics, and would it be possible to get a copy of the two CPU pages (22 and 23) if you have managed to unscramble them?

Cheers
Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DSA524 Schematics Cleaned Up.pdf (1.47 MB, 108 views)
Old 11th Jul 2020, 2:49 pm   #8
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

I am making a new set of diagrams for the DSOA processor PCB but it's a long job trying to elucidate all the furry and almost indicipherable labels on the originals available, but when they are complete nobody'll have any trouble reading anything!

Please bear with me, it's still a work in progress!

Chris Williams
Old 11th Jul 2020, 3:19 pm   #9
bobford100
Diode

Hi Chris,

Excellent, that'll be a great help for sure, and help a lot of people get these units working. Thanks in advance for all your efforts.
Ill keep monitoring the forum in the meantime.

I'm staggered that only the single copy of the poor quality pdf exists.
Nobody seems to be even selling a hard copy manual from what I've seen.

Cheers
Bob
Closed Thread