UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2020, 7:24 am   #1
Michael Maurice

Default Goldring G101

I am servicing one of these fitted to a Dynatron radiogram.

This was Goldring's first belt driven turntable. It uses a much smaller, about 2½" diameter motor which I think runs on 230V

I dont actually have it with me.

I took the main spindle out, cleaned and relubricated it, changed the belt and all appeared ok, except that after about 10-15 minutes the motor would run very slow, sometimes it would pick up speed, sometimes it wouldn't.

The motor is stiff to turn though I gather these motors can be like that.

Is there any known cure or repair for these motors? Is there a substitute motor that I could fit?

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 7th Jul 2020, 8:37 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Goldring G101

These motors are synchronous motors with magnetised rotors, and so will seem to turn in "steps", rather than smoothly, when rotated by hand.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 3:39 pm   #3
analogadikt
Tetrode

Many of these small motors do not have a proper single point support for the spindle to ride on. If you check the bottom cover and see the end of the spindle sticking out, you have located the problem. What is required then is a DIY thrust pad to support the spindle so it has minimum resistance to rotation. I shall try to locate a link for you.

Edit : Please refer to post #42, 49, 51 here.

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/in...topic=32358.30
Regards,

Last edited by analogadikt; 7th Jul 2020 at 4:01 pm.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 4:36 pm   #4
chriswood1900
Octode

Michael
My memory of the G101 is they were very under powered and even when working well they were a poor performer built down to a price.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 4:44 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, not well-liked, but they did work (just about!). Someone here will no doubt have a spare motor kicking around (I did, but it got chucked a couple of years ago, sorry).
Closed Thread