UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2008, 3:44 pm   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default TV at RCA in 1933.

Here is a scan from the set of papers by Engstrom, Kell (of Kell factor fame) and others at RCA who developed a complete experimental TV system in early 1933. The standard was 240 lines, 24 fields progressive which required a video bandwidth of just over 1MHz.

The paper is from Proceedings of the Institute of Radio Engineers Vol 22 Number 11 November 1934.

I had to zip the file to fit it in the forum size limits. Maybe I could have found a better compression method.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tv1.zip (497.2 KB, 117 views)
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 5:38 pm   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: TV at RCA 1933

views ok , was it just the double page ?. camera looks like a bit of farm machinery
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 5:50 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Just the double page from a long article. You can see the iconoscope tube quite clearly. The RCA iconoscope and and EMI Emitron tubes were very similar. There is considerable debate about how much of the design EMI borrowed from RCA under their patent cross licensing agreement. My best guess is that the fundamental tube principles were those set down by Zworykin at RCA but the detailed development was largely separate.

There is no doubt that interlace was covered by RCA patents which EMI could and did use.
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 6:40 pm   #4
tubesrule
Hexode

As far as is known, there are no surviving pieces from the 1933 or the 1934 field tests. (the 1934 test were done at 343 line interlaced) Much of the equipment from the 1935-6 field tests does survive, as does one set from the 1931 field test (120 line 24fps progressive). I've scanned most of the IRE papers for that test, and Steve McVoy has them posted on his site at: http://www.earlytelevision.org/rca_1932.html.

It does appear that Kalman Tihanyi of Hungary was also instrumental in the development of a working storage camera tube. RCA bought his patent out in 1926, so it's hard to discern what impact this had on Zworykin's work.

Darryl
Old 5th Jul 2008, 3:27 pm   #5
peter_scott
Dekatron

There is an article in Television Today "An American High Definition Television System" by A. T. Sinclair that draws from the Proc. of I.R.E. showing a sketch of the same camera.

A number of things struck me as interesting.

1. The sync signals were generated mechanically using a disc with 240 holes spinning between lamp and photo cell. (No problems for Scophony here then.)

2. There is no mention of tilt and bend control.

3. They talk about moving the scan on the mosaic to achieve electronic zoom, pan and tilt. (different sense of tilt)

Peter

Last edited by peter_scott; 5th Jul 2008 at 3:40 pm.
Closed Thread