UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2008, 11:27 pm   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Ferguson 3V30 info

Hi all, I have just been given a Ferguson 3V30 top loading VHS machine complete with wired remote control, that was destined for the tip.
I have been told it works but has rewind problems (probably belts).

I have a few spare belt kits for my 3V22, does anyone know if these will
fit? (before I take it apart) also what year is this machine?
Cheers
Mark

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 11th Oct 2009 at 11:45 am. Reason: FSK
Old 9th Jun 2008, 11:56 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 3V30 info

About 1978. There were loads about.

The heads should be OK. The 3V30 service kits are still available from Grandata - Part No SK05. Cheap too! The site is back to normal, but if I were you I would ring rather than put your details in that site!

Give it a damn good clean as well.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...highlight=3v29

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...highlight=3v29

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 10th Jun 2008, 12:05 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Have you got a copy of Joe Cieszynski's superb 3V29 article in the Jan. 92 issue of Television? PM me with e-mail address if you want a copy.

Nick
Old 10th Jun 2008, 12:14 am   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

Thanks Steve, interesting reading those threads, surprised at the year of manufacture, looks so 'modern' compared with my trusty 3V22 piano keys & all, well worth restoring as don't seem to see these around anymore,
will resist temptation to start on it 'til I get some belts
Cheers
Mark

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 11th Oct 2009 at 11:49 am. Reason: Typos.
Old 10th Jun 2008, 7:46 am   #5
Mikey405
Octode

I think I would be inclined to get a belt kit or a repair / service kit rather than just the belts that look like they need changing. The belt that gives the most trouble on these is actually the loading belt - It stops the unit threading up entirely and so the machine starts to lace up, struggles right at the end, and then gives up and unlaces again.

You will probably also need a damper fan for the eject mechanism as they invariably fail with a split cog or a stretched tyre. I think they are available from TelePart, and probably other places besides. The eject is supposed to be nice and smooth and should make a soothing "whirring" noise - if the cassette lift opens with a thud then the damper will have failed.

If you want to get the unit tip-top again then I'd go the whole hog and replace the head drum as well - they are as cheap as chips for those machines.

They're pretty good machines actually and produce a reasonable, if not outstanding, picture. You can record 405 on them quite happily too.
Old 10th Jun 2008, 1:29 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Just a note - if you decide (sensibly) as advised to change the loading belt, to save yourself timing problems use an elastic band or old belt to hold the loading arms back in the STOP position. The loading block can then be removed easily for belt replacement - and don't lose the shims - unless someone else already has.....
The bulb is bound to fail - the rental boys did have a mod for fitting an LED and 680R resistor instead, though it's no great effort to fit a new bulb every so often.
I'd change the reel tyres as well as both idlers. Sadly only pattern parts will be available now which used to give us awful trouble with idler bounce - some experimentation may be needed.
As Mikey says, a good 'bread and butter' machine.
Glyn
Old 10th Jun 2008, 2:31 pm   #7
Studio263
Octode

If you can't get idler tyres then an o-ring ground flat on the outer surface (do it when it's on the pulley) makes a good substitute. Get the "nitrile" sort, that is the most similar material to what was used originally.

On the subject of the bulb, we found that these failled when the "air damper" (the spinning vane thing at the side) stopped working, either because the tyre was shredded (more o-rings?) or because the gears were jammed up with disgusting cat hair (or worse!). This of course made the lid come up with a bang, jolting the bulb around needlessly. Of course our tightwad customers would wait for the machine to stop working completely before bringing it in and then compain because they wanted it back **that evening** to record something "important".
Old 10th Jun 2008, 6:31 pm   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Best video recorder EVER made. Plays 405 recordings a treat. Get a service kit and replace the lot in less than one hour. As Steve says the heads never fail due to a robust back tension arrangement. Manufacture at its very best. My service manual is dated 1980 but whats a year or two? regards, John.
Closed Thread