UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2014, 8:53 am   #1
Girish_Athani
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help me identify the model

Dear People,

My name is Girish from India and I am a complete newbe to the world of vintage radios. Recently I got hold of my grandfathers very old Murphy radio which was lying in store room for 10 years after my grandfather death but in a very bad shape. Cabinet is completely gone which I intend to make a completely new one.
I am determined to restore this one completely come what may due to emotional reasons.
I need the advice of all you expert guys out there in identifying the model number of this Murphy radio and if any one has schematic diagram for this that would be great help.
This radio was brought in India I guess but inside it says Made In England. Have a couple of questions regarding this. Request all experts to answer these and help me take forward the restoration of this.

1. Please let me know the model number of this. Looks like A242 but I am not sure.
2. The wax capacitors (Orange ones in pic) are in a very bad shape eaten by mostly rats. They are marked TCC 0.01 mfd and 0.05 mfd. With what type of capacitors I can replace these.
3. Any advice you guys want to give me after seeing the pics attached.

Pls look at the pics and advice me.

Thanks a ton
Girish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	98321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy3.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	98322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy7.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	98323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy6.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	98324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy5.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	98325  

Old 4th Oct 2014, 10:07 am   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Help me identify the model

Sorry I can't help with identifying the set, but I'm sure someone will come along with the answer. This is what I'd do. Firstly, when you know the model, get hold of the service data for the set. You can do that at the top right of this page. It is then the long road of restoring the set to being a 'worker'. Do it bit by bit and ask questions here at each step. You can change those capacitors for the same value, and 400V working voltage using such as this range here: http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.co...me.php?cat=151
There are lots of suppliers of capacitors though, try Ebay for example. But yes, same value and 400V should be fine. The electrolytic caps will also all need changing. Use the same - or near value just above - and of a voltage the same, or again just above the originals. Re the cabinet, it may be easier to re-veneer it than make a new one, just a thought..

If you look at this thread, there is another collector/restorer based in Mumbai who may be able to offer more local advice. You could perhaps send him a PM (private message).https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=108857&page=2
Old 4th Oct 2014, 10:14 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

It does look like an A 242, but that's a much more complicated AM/FM set with 9 or10 valves- your set has only 5. It's clear from the pictures that your set has been "got at" at some time- look at the crude packing on the large metal capacitor. What is not clear is whether the rather strangely mounted dropper resistor next to an obvious transformer mounting hole is original or another keep it going modification.

If you can read and list the valve types, a search amongst Murphys for the lineup may find a helpful circuit, even if the exact model (probably an export variant) remains obscure.

For the rat fodder capacitors, any modern plastic film capacitor of similar capacitance and equal or higher voltage rating will be fine- 10nF 400V and 47nF 400V for the two mentioned for example.

As it stands, remember it's a live chassis set with no isolation from the mains for the user other than the missing knobs and cabinet so any live working will need to be done with appropriate precautions!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Oct 2014, 10:39 am   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

This is a "U" chassis so the model number may begin with U not A. This makes it a "live chassis". Please read all the warnings on live chassis.

John.
Old 4th Oct 2014, 10:49 am   #5
Stuart R
Heptode

From the knobs and dial, it looks much like a the TA/TU226 shown on Dave Grant's excellent website. The TU226 I imagine is the AC/DC "Universal" variant.

But this set had 7 valves and yours has only 5. This website is a good place to start with your research, it has lots of schematics that you may be able to compare and find something close.

Good luck with it!

Regards,

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart R; 4th Oct 2014 at 11:17 am. Reason: Spelling and removed useless web-link
Old 4th Oct 2014, 10:49 am   #6
Cobaltblue

Hi Girish

I think this is the set you have a TU226

Note the clip only shows the TA226 but the web site shows the TU is just the AC/DC version.

This nicked from Dave Grants excellent Murphy web site.

Sorry crossed with Stuart

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TA226.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	98336  
Old 4th Oct 2014, 10:52 am   #7
paulsherwin

It is unlikely that this is a British domestic model or even a British export set. The new 1948 Indian government introduced strict import controls to encourage domestic industry, so this radio was probably produced in India under some sort of licensing arrangement with Murphy.
Old 4th Oct 2014, 10:55 am   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
I think this is the set you have a TU226
Note the clip only shows the TA226 but the web site shows the TU is just the AC/DC version.
The clip states the TA226 has an RF amp - but the internal photos posted by Girish show only a 2-section tuning capacitor...
Old 4th Oct 2014, 11:14 am   #9
Cobaltblue

Whoops the hazards of posting in haste

I had a quick look and there are several models in the Export dungeon that look to have a similar line up to your set.

If you use a Google search for "Dave's Rust 'n' Dust " you should be able to find it.

Contacting Dave might help as he may have information he has not yet uploaded.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 4th Oct 2014, 12:04 pm   #10
Girish_Athani
Retired Dormant Member

Thnak you so much for your advice and time Steve. Appreciate it
Old 4th Oct 2014, 12:11 pm   #11
Girish_Athani
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you so so much for all your advice guys. Will surely start doing R&D as suggested by some. Now I am even more confident of restoring this with all your help.

Girish
Old 4th Oct 2014, 1:00 pm   #12

Whatever it turns out to be, once restored it will be a good looking set if post 6 in anything to by. Nice and slim too, will fit into a modern room well.

Old 4th Oct 2014, 1:01 pm   #13
Girish_Athani
Retired Dormant Member

Just purchased 0.01 and 0.05, 630V capacitors (both paper and poly) from a shop here. Since I am a newbie I am bad in radio component related terminology also. Please bear with me.

Please tell me which ones are better suited, the blue ones or red n orange ones.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Paper Capacitor 0.01mfd.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	98337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polyester film capacitor 0.01mfd.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	98338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polyester film capacitor 0.05mfd.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	98339  
Old 4th Oct 2014, 1:05 pm   #14
paulsherwin

Any modern capacitors with suitable values and ratings will be fine. The construction technology doesn't matter.

Most people choose capacitors either on price or because they look good cosmetically.
Old 4th Oct 2014, 8:27 pm   #15
Girish_Athani
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Guys,

I am starting the actual restoration process from Monday and I will definitely keep you posted and trouble you for suggestions.

All experts out there do you have any suggestions how to proceed?
Old 5th Oct 2014, 12:40 pm   #16
marconi_pete
Hexode

Be sure to replace all wax/ paper type capacitors first before doing anything else. if you can't see the values on the wax capacitors a good tip would be to spray some WD40 onto a cloth and gently wipe it over the capacitor to clean it up. Check electrolytic capacitors for white residue or bulging. if you see any like this replace them on sight. Wake the set up gently with the use of a lamp limiter or variac. Don't feel tempted to plug it in directly into the mains. Should be a fairly straightforward restoration for a beginner. Do keep us updated on the restoration.

Regards,
Peter
Old 5th Oct 2014, 5:05 pm   #17
Girish_Athani
Retired Dormant Member

Thnks Peter for the inputs. Yes surely I will keep posted on the restoration. Have started working on the cabinet first as I can see some visible results to keep me motivated.

Thanks
Girish
Old 5th Oct 2014, 10:14 pm   #18
jay_oldstuff
Octode

If you can sort that cabinet out then the electronics will be easy
Good luck with it.
Jay
Old 6th Oct 2014, 10:54 am   #19
jimmy55
Retired Dormant Member

Great story Girish, I wish I had kept my Grandmothers little utility style set that was ever present in her house.
Other newbies like me can learn so much browsing other peoples threads on this forum. I hope you keep us up to date with pictures as you progress.
Old 7th Oct 2014, 1:04 pm   #20
jsbhavsar
Pentode

The Murphy radio set from Girish looks most likely A252 or A272 lookalike from Murphy, India. I maybe wrong.

I saw similar twin dial Murphy radio set in the Radio Club, Colaba, Mumbai near Gateway of India. It was gifted by a State Cabinet Minister Mr Pramod Navalkar in the mid 1990s to the Radio Club Colaba, Mumbai to place that radio in the Radio room of the club, from where the first Indian Radio broadcast reception took place in the 1920s.
Closed Thread