UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jul 2016, 4:47 pm   #21
bobsterkent
Hexode

Default Re: Relay noughts and crosses machine

There is a picture of one in the Hulton Getty picture library:

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/HB8162-001
Old 15th Jul 2016, 9:18 pm   #22
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Bob, thanks for that. That is similar to the one in the Melbourne museum, possibly with fewer relays.

Ed
Old 18th Jul 2016, 2:14 pm   #23
ParcGwyn
Hexode

There is a noughts and crosses machine in Practical Electronics Sept 1965, available here: http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...cs-1965-09.pdf that uses just switches and light bulbs.

Dave

GW7ONS
Old 18th Jul 2016, 8:13 pm   #24
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

It's fascinating to see the difference in complexity between devices designed to play the same game.

Schemes using only combinational logic, such as cascaded switching, can (with enough contacts) theoretically play a 'perfect' game but have the following inevitable limitations:
Human must execute the machine moves (deliberately or incidentally).
Cannot change strategy mid-play for a given board position without input from the human operating a 'randomising' element.
Given an identical input sequence from the human, including any adjustment of randomising, strategy-obfuscating or defeating controls, must always make the same moves.

Paradoxically, some of the extra complexity in a design like Relay Moe is devoted to reducing playing performance below ideal, to improve entertainment value. The remainder provides a more engaging man-machine interface, where the human need only press one button to indicate a move, the machine then has a separate response cycle of non-zero time, the game concludes with a win/lose/draw indication etc.

I think, like Ed, we might be building a few of these contraptions for Electrokinetica. Camswitch-based and branching relay-based flow control are quite easy for the non-technical person to understand, especially if the sequence and conditions are indicated on a row of lights. Pinball is another example, where if you play strategically (e.g. light all 5 lights in sequence for a bonus) you can follow the gameplay progress on the camswitch and relays.
Old 19th Jul 2016, 5:03 am   #25
Karen O
Rest in Peace

I wonder if this is the machine I saw at Birmingham Science Museum all those years ago. The bulb-illuminated masked display certainly fits the memory I have of it. I believe this machine has been acquired by the Museum of Computing, which apparently is in Swindon (why did I think it was in Cambridge )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drof computox.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	127594  

Last edited by Karen O; 19th Jul 2016 at 5:04 am. Reason: Minor typo
Old 19th Jul 2016, 11:17 am   #26
Viewmaster
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParcGwyn View Post
There is a noughts and crosses machine in Practical Electronics Sept 1965, available here: http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...cs-1965-09.pdf
I plan to build that using 18 miniature 4PDT toggle switches instead of rotary.

Also using nine 2 colour LEDs.
Red illuminated for crosses and green for noughts.

All this will make a much more compact machine.
Closed Thread