UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2003, 5:04 pm   #1
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.
Default Scanning dial scales

Just wondered if when we service a wireless and when possible if it would be an idea to do a scan of the dial scale. We would then between us have a library of scales should any of us require a new one.

Paul

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:29 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 14th Aug 2003, 6:18 pm   #2
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Default Re: Scanning dial scales

Champion idea!
Old 14th Aug 2003, 8:29 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Past Times Radio have already started doing this - there are a number at http://www.pasttimesradio.co.uk It would probably be best to send further scans there, so they are all in one place.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 14th Aug 2003, 10:58 pm   #4
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

Paul Stenning,
Yes that sounds a good idea; I had not seen this idea before (might have guessed if I had thought of something it could not be original!). Perhaps you could encourage members to send their scans. Perhaps my only worry would be what happens if Past Time Radio was to ever disappear. Think I might be tempted to copy them to a CD.
Paul
Old 14th Aug 2003, 11:09 pm   #5
wireless_paul
Hexode

Suppose it is a good idea to make a copy of a dial, just in case you have an accident whilst servicing a radio. I was thinking on these lines with my Audix wireless, don't think I would have much chance of finding another scale for this if the worst was to happen.
Paul
Old 24th Aug 2003, 10:23 pm   #6
Keith
Heptode

Having a scan of the dial is all very well, but how do you go about using it?

My current problem is with a Philips 461. This radio has the tuning scale sticking out of the top, edge lit from below. I thought maybe I could print the scale onto acetate (i.e. as used for overhead projection) and sandwich it between two pieces of glass.

The question is "how do you print in white?". Obviously there's not a lot of call for white ink - not terribly useful on paper! I've tried a light yellow but it's just not reflective enough .

Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:32 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 25th Aug 2003, 1:35 pm   #7
joe
Rest in Peace

Keith

I've mentioned an idea in this forum previously, it is possible to get very thin self adhesive transparency - about 50 - 100 microns. It comes on a sort of siliconised card and looks like glossy photo quality paper, but the transparency can be peeled off and stuck on glass etc.

It should be possible to print on this normally and stick it on the front of the dial, or print in reverse and stick it on the back of the dial.

Where do you get the stuff? Don't try WH Smith. They won't know what you are talking about, but have a look in computer magazines such as Micromart under paper supplies.

In fairness I have to admit that I have not yet tried this stuff for radio scales but I hold out some hope.

There is another similar thread somewhere in this forum where someone found out where to get decal transfer paper which I guess does a similar thing.

That leaves only one problem, how to print white. I wish I could answer that one but I'm still thinking about it. If you can come up with an answer please post it.

I have a Philips 462/A which is similar to your set and the scales which stick up are usually a casualty.

Joe

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:33 pm.
Old 5th Sep 2003, 8:42 pm   #8
shaft
Retired Dormant Member

Just come accross this thread, and thought I'd add my (very limited) experience with this.

I recently cleaned up an old Ferguson radio which needed repairs to the tuning scale. I scaned the old one, cleaned it up in paint shop pro, then printed it onto waterslip transfer paper (available from www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk). Now for the clever bit: I printed a second version on plain paper, and used a craft knife to cut out those bits which were meant to remain clear. These were used as a "mask" on the back ofthe radio glass, which was then sprayed with white paint. This had the effect of "beefing up" the main colours (which were a little too tranparent once the transfer had been seperated from the backing paper), but would also leave any un-masked "clear" areas showing white.

Hope this makes sense!

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:31 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Closed Thread