UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2014, 7:39 am   #1
oerg866
Retired Dormant Member

Default Mitsubishi HS-E82 doesn't like its own tapes

Hi there,

My Mitsubishi HS-E82 SVHS VCR went through hell and back, but the head drum is in excellent condition, there are no dropouts at all.

But I've been noticing some problems:

The machine absolutely does not like its own tapes. The image quality is very good, but the picture is a tad too dark and the linear audio is very quiet. It cannot keep track of the hifi stereo track properly. There is a hifi tracking switch that will show (I guess) how well it managed to lock on to the track, and for tapes not recorded on this machine it is mostly over half of the display, if I play a tape made on this machine it only shows 1 or 2, if I'm lucky 3 bars.

You can also hear it, there is some crackles that occur every few seconds. The sound quality is fine.

Any ideas? The fish cap SMDs have already been replaced, except for the one on the head drum, which I cannot reach without undoing it -- something which I don't want to risk

Cheers and thanks in advance.
Old 14th Jan 2014, 2:14 pm   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Mitsubishi HS-E82 doesn't like its own tapes

Is the back tension still within range?
Old 14th Jan 2014, 4:30 pm   #3
oerg866
Retired Dormant Member

I'm sorry, I'm not aware how to check that. Could you give some direction? Thanks a lot.
Old 19th Jan 2014, 2:49 pm   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

I used to check it by visual inspection (has the felt strip fallen off? is something stuck?) and then by tweaking it slightly to check for improvement. I also used a test tape on which the head switching zone was in the middle of the picture instead of at the bottom, which gives a good indication. The switching zone should show as upright as possible, if that makes any sense.

Otherwise, follow the instructions in the service manual.
Old 19th Jan 2014, 3:31 pm   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi there
That's an interesting tip, Maarten - never done it that way. I used a gauge, but we had to keep renewing the tape as it soon wore out.
Back to the fault. I assume from your description that the playback of a known good S-VHS hi-fi tape is faultless? I ask because, as you are aware, a tape recorded on your machine must make two passes, so the effect of anything slightly worn or out of tolerance will be doubled. The place to start, which I assume you have already done, is to clean, clean and clean again all the tape path, especially the audio/control head and the lower drum. Replace the pinchroller if you're not absolutely confident of it. Using a smooth non-magnetic probe, in play, deflect the tape slightly near the erase hed - this will give you a very rough feel for the back tension. Do the same near the exit guide - it should feel the same - markedly different and you have lower drum wear - not something you want to know about on an S-VHS machine.
I'm sure you know this, but be extremely wary of making any adjustments on an S-VHS deck as it's so easy to get things wrong.
Good luck!
Glyn
Closed Thread