UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2019, 1:42 pm   #1
richieyork
Pentode

Default Hacker RP38A Hunter - weak/sibilant FM

Hi all

Quick question: Acquired an RP38A - tatty but complete - car boot find. Has been converted to mains (two transformer PCB's, fullwave rect on each and cap smoothers - each producing 9v).

Powers up fine and DC voltage is correct at 18V or thereabouts.

MW/LW performance is strong and clear. FM is very insensitive and sibilant and lower volume than AM. It also 'hums' when tuned into the centre point of a station. No lively hiss between stations as i'd expect..

I've thoroughly cleaned the wavechange switches with contact cleaner and they are working correctly.

The set is riddled with Lockfits - my suspicion falls on them (i've ordered up some MPSH10's to try out) and/or C27 discriminator cap.

Most of the electrolytics are the blue sleeved variety (like Philips branded??) - i'd always thought these are stable with age or am I wrong? Happy to replace all...

Before I start to dismantle and shotgun replace the lockfits/electrolytics do my suspicions sound correct I don't have suitable equipment other than multimeter to sort this issue out, so any known stock faults that could cause this problem id appreciate knowing.

Thanks all,
Rich
Old 26th Jul 2019, 4:16 pm   #2
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: Hacker RP38A Hunter - weak/sibilant FM

14V to 16V is more ideal as 18V is peak fresh batteries.

If the FM issue was a lockfit then it likely wouldn't work. Also they are not like AF117s, it's poor assembly stressing the leads and causing an internal wire fracture is the majority of lockfit faults.

1) Make sure DC is 14V to just under 18V, not over it.
2) You need more than a DVM/DMM otherwise you'll be pointlessly changing parts.
3) Mostly the blue sleeved Electrolytics are OK, but they can dry out. Since it's "drying out" you can just use jumper wires etc to "hold" a good capacitor across one. Try the discriminator electrolytic first.
4) Don't tweak any coils / presets without suitable test gear.
5) I'd not at all "shotgun" except with paper dielectric caps in battery or mains valve sets.
Old 26th Jul 2019, 5:16 pm   #3
ronbryan
Octode

If you check the polarity of the voltage across the discriminator electrolytic with your multimeter, when tuned into a local FM station, you will find that the positive voltage is applied to the negative terminal on the capacitor - i.e. the silk screen polarity marking is incorrect and the electrolytic is reverse biased. If you fit a new component, it makes sense to connect it such that the capacitor is connected the correct way round, disregarding the silk screen marking.

It is worth checking that one of the two germanium FM discriminator diodes is not faulty. You should be able to easily check this if your multimeter has a diode test facility.

Ron

Last edited by ronbryan; 26th Jul 2019 at 5:24 pm.
Old 26th Jul 2019, 5:28 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes, I'd be looking into the discriminator - as mentioned, the electrolytic capacitor *should* be wired in the non-instinctive sense (+ve to ground) and if either or both of the diodes have 'aged' they can make tuning/recovered-audio distinctly odd and the AFC act like it's home to a poltergeist.
Old 26th Jul 2019, 6:22 pm   #5
paulsherwin

It's not the case that lockfit problems result in a dead set. They produce all sorts of strange symptoms when they fail. They may not be responsible for this fault, but I would change them while you have the set in pieces as it's a cheap and easy job. Do them one at a time in case there are compatibility problems, and take care over the leadouts.
Closed Thread