UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 29th Feb 2012, 3:01 pm   #1
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Default Hitachi cassette recorder TRQ-236

This is an upright cassette recorder which I guess is from the 80s - not normally something that would interest me as I usually go for the 'flat' early 70s units (sometimes called 'shoebox' players these days). But it seemed to call to me and, in any case, it is bad karma to leave a car boot empty handed!

The belt needed replacing, of course, but I was spared the ordeal of removing sticky gunge as was the case for the Philips model I got working a while ago (though I still haven't solved the problem of the notched pinch wheel). The speaker is in good order considering it has almost certainly had new romantic played through it.

I can find no informtation on the internet on this Hitachi model. I suspect it was just one of very many that flooded the shops at that time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitachi TRQ-236.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	63315  
Old 29th Feb 2012, 11:10 pm   #2
michamoo
Hexode

Default Re: Hitachi cassette recorder TRQ-236

Hi
I would think looking at the style thats its more likely to be mid 70s. That speaker grill just shouts 70s. I bet its a very well made unit.
Old 1st Mar 2012, 1:50 am   #3
Karen O
Rest in Peace

I'd love to think it is a 70s model. It came with original box and literature, including a guarantee registration card. I suspect it's a little late to register now

There's a circuit diagram! Also, a little plastic peg which I think you push into the microphone socket to shut the internal mic off for erasing purposes. It's very solid inside with a substantial flywheel (as the years went by these seem to become smaller and smaller, with plastic replacing cast aluminium).

There were only two faults - the usual ones - a snapped belt and the big multipole play/record switch was in desperate need of some servisol.

I've had a trawl through the manual and paper work in the hope of finding a date or copyright notice. Sadly, there's nothing of that nature. I'll have a peak at some components and see if they have any date stamps on them.
Old 1st Mar 2012, 2:23 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

It probably is 70's, as looking on Euromuseum all the TRQ models seem to be. That'll last another 30 years now!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 1st Mar 2012, 9:59 pm   #5
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen O View Post
It's very solid inside with a substantial flywheel (as the years went by these seem to become smaller and smaller, with plastic replacing cast aluminium).
true but... in a portable recorder, a small light flywheel is better than a large heavy flywheel as the heavier the flywheel is, the worse the gyro effect is, which causes speed instability as you move and bounce the recorder about during recording or playback
Closed Thread