UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2008, 5:18 pm   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Thumbs up Bush AC41 (1954)

Hi all, this is the first of two sets I picked up for £7! both looked very sorry for themselves. I started on this one as I love bush sets .

Internally, this set has been untouched from new, and retains all it's original valves (the date on the electrolytic is May '54).

The mains lead had been cut off so I removed the chassis and replaced this. After a few checks, I powered it up slowly via my Variac and up it came very lively with plenty of volume.

After a couple of minutes, however, suddenly it lost audio. After checking with a meter it had lost HT due to the failure of the 1.5k smoothing resistor. After replacing this, I also replaced the 50uF decoupler cap and a couple of waxies that had seen better days.

Next I gave the chassis a good clean and removed the tuning scale backplate and cleaned fifty-four years of dust out, followed by a polish with T-cut.

I had to replace both dial lamps, then reassembled the set. On powering it up it was performing perfectly, so I turned my attention to the cabinet.

The cabinet had suffered a few scratches and was grubby. After my success using T-cut on my little Pye console set, I gave this set the same treatment, it certainly works!

The cabinet, although not perfect, has come up very well indeed. I cleaned the knobs up with washing up liquid and a toothbrush, and the tuning scale with 'Windowlene'. The speaker cloth is in very good condition so needed no attention.

I am generally well pleased with this set, it performs well and has
a lovely warm tone. It uses the same circuit (and chassis) as the earlier AC31, but in my opinion is a nicer looking set.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outbefore.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	21525   Click image for larger version

Name:	outafter.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	21526   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside after.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	21527   Click image for larger version

Name:	outafter1.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	21528   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside before.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	21529  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 1st Dec 2008 at 3:44 pm. Reason: FKB problem fixed.
Old 1st Dec 2008, 3:25 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Bush AC41 (1954)

Nice job Mark. That chassis is so clean and shiny, it is positively glowing . The cabinet looks good too, especially nice to have the transfer label intact on top.
Neil
Old 1st Dec 2008, 9:20 pm   #3
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hi Mark.

That really is a nice looking set and a nice write up too.

When Sara and I went for a long weekend to Jersey in September, there was one of these sets in the cafe at the "Jersey War Tunnels", a fantastic exhibition of the occupation of the Channel Islands in WW2. I couldn't resist taking a couple of pictures of the radio. The pudding next to it wasn't real by the way

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0636.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	21561 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0637-1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	21562

I didn't ask if it still worked in case they just plugged it in

Regards,
Old 1st Dec 2008, 9:43 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

It probably would actually. Good sets these and another one preserved for years to come.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 10:27 am   #5
richrussell
Heptode

That cabinet's come up nicely. Reminds me that I ought to make an effort on the very poor condition DAC34 I picked up at a car boot sale for £4.

Apart from a dead output transformer and dodgy UL41 (almost certainly due to the failure of That Capacitor), the set works well and sounds excellent. Looks like the same chassis too (though with a UBC41 in the unused chassis hole).

I still need to make a back panel for it as well.
Closed Thread