UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2019, 3:41 pm   #1
Jeffreyabb
Pentode

Default AVO VCM Mk IV Question

Hi I have started rebuilding a AVO MkIV VCM, beginning with the Component Board. The S/N is 1936. My question is about replacing the diodes on the board.
There are 3 sets of 2 diodes in series on the board with 2M2 resistors across each diode, one pair without resistors and a single diode. I am going to replace all diodes with BYW96's. Can I replace the pairs of diodes with 2 BYW96E's with a single one? also if I have to use 2 diodes do I need to replace the 2M2 resistors? There are different circuit diagrams with having different combinations of the above.
Regards
Jeff
G6CQH
Old 18th Mar 2019, 5:05 pm   #2
Dekatron
Octode

Default Re: AVO VCM Mk IV Question

You can replace the two diodes in series with one BYW96E and also remove the 2.2Meg resistors - this will make it look and work like the later circuits.

There are a maximum of four (4) sets of two diodes in series with 2.2Meg resistors across each diode in the earliest AVO MkIV VCM, one pair for Anode, Grid and two (2) for the Grid-voltage circuit.
Old 18th Mar 2019, 9:53 pm   #3
Jeffreyabb
Pentode

Default Re: AVO VCM Mk IV Question

Hi Martin
Thank you for the info. It is what I hoped for.
Regards
Jeff
G6CQH
Closed Thread