UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2013, 5:55 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default VCM's - Parasitic Oscillations

This phenominon has been raised several times recently. I thought my LeyMarcAvo DC VCM was immune, having sucessfully tested & graphed Gm for several valves - up to 115mA on an EL37.
However, a recent aquisition of some TT22's were first put through my refurbished MK3, then into my L/M/A. The Mk3 handled them fine, but my L/M/A went hyper above 80mA on the best of the bunch. It produced a fine 29.28 MHz oscillation. Then shoved in another EL37, and lo & behold that produced a fundimental of 51.6MHz plus a healthy harmonic of 103.2MHz. However, raising the VBU on it's hinges an inch or so - stopped the par.osc.
Following some good advice from GlowingAnode - I managed to squeeze some ferrite beads underneath a IO valvebase in an extension box. Great result - no more oscillations even with the TT22 & the EL37 wound up to 100mA.
So from now on - all thumping big high-slope valves will be tested using the extension box, or another I'll build for 807's & QQV06's, etc. The B9G vb on my MK3 had single beads underneath. So in fact fitted 2 beads under each vb pin on the ext box & also secured them with some gash bits of h-shrink sleeving. I didn't fancy fannying about underneath the VBU on my L/M/A. Best to leave well alone if possible, I say.
Incidently, the L/M/A uses a modern bench DC PSU (PSM 3/2A) as an external heater supply - - christ - does it's display light up like a christmas tree when those VHF oscillations occured - obviously it's internal chips & processors etc - " dont like it up em" as Cpl Jones would say.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LMA Parasitic Osc. 1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	87159   Click image for larger version

Name:	LMA  Parasitic Osc.2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	87160   Click image for larger version

Name:	LMA Parasitic Osc.3.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	87161   Click image for larger version

Name:	LMA Parasitic Osc. 4.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	87162   Click image for larger version

Name:	LMA Parasitic Osc. 5.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	87163  

Old 27th Dec 2013, 5:36 pm   #2
Jac
Heptode

Default Re: VCM's - Parasitic Oscillations

Indeed David, parasitic oscillations are just around the corner.

AVO used a large amount of ferrite beads in the testers.
Both in the valve-sockets area and near the selector switches.

It may help if you add a lot of them in your design in strategic places.

Jac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004-06-08 aansluitingen rolselector 2.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	87192   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-28 VCM163 buisvoet 1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	87193  
Old 27th Dec 2013, 6:46 pm   #3
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: VCM's - Parasitic Oscillations

Right enough Jac, AVO were keen on ferrite beads, I've heard. My MK3 VCM does indeed have single ones/ pin skt on that big B9G v/b - above left of the most used IO v/b. But the donor MK2's valvebase unit which I fitted on top of my L/M/A didn't have any beads anywhere. The underside v/b to v/b wiring was so pristine I baulked at starting to prise apart the wires & un-solder the IO or any other v/b. Also,AVO's wiring size had a larger dia than the beads I have available, but thankfully they could be just about squeezed over the 0.5mm sq wiring I have in abundance. The beads came out of a Farnell packet marked 103002 as the part no. which I found in a gash box.
Incidently, ref to pictures 2 & 3, the co-ax scope lead which I connected across G & C sockets on the socket strip - stopped the EL37's P/O's when connected to my Hameg HM603, and even just a 1.2m length lying loose ! However, nothing stopped the TT22's until I fitted those two beads/ pin skt. That's a fearsome valve.

Regards, David
Closed Thread