UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 15th Mar 2019, 6:28 pm   #21
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Default Re: My new camera

Quote:
Its extending lens can pick up fluff, however, and it is a pain to take apart just to remove a tiny speck.
The next time it is apart do the old AVO trick of making a sticky area inside for any floating fluff to stick to. AVO used some gloopy grease painted inside the rear case.
Old 15th Mar 2019, 8:37 pm   #22
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
Its extending lens can pick up fluff, however, and it is a pain to take apart just to remove a tiny speck.
Don't dismantle your camera to treat this, do it in software!

Any decent image-post-processing software can be used to identify and tag pixels that are recurrently and failingly 'compromised' then offer you a range of options as to how to handle the blobs so they blend into the rest of the image in a non-intrusive way.
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2019, 10:29 am   #23
Aerodyne
Octode

It appears to be a 'known' problem with some extending lens cameras: the action of the powered extension and telescoping of the lens draws in detritus. Using software is and remains an option but stringy fluff and small particles have a habit of moving about the sensor, besides with any small sensor the area obscured can be relatively large.

I may well try the 'Avo trick' if I can find somewhere to smear a dab of grease.

That said, for such a compact size, the camera is a very good performer with a long zoom range.

I have downloaded 'darktable'. I've not had time to take a really in-depth look at it but it definitely looks like a promising alternative to Photoshop. As I'm running Windows, there may be a few glitches along the way as it is early days for the darktable windows version. We shall see. Thanks for the heads up on this promising program.

Tony
Aerodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2019, 2:23 pm   #24
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

I chose Panasonic because they where not camera makers, I imagined that the design remit was "to take pictures" it does that admirably. I have had a bit of a paradigm shift from camera user to picture taker, rather refreshing. It has couple of very nice details, the mode dial has a much stronger detent than the others, reducing the possibility of changing it by mistake and the flash has to be popped up by hand, invaluable in museum photography.
Old 16th Mar 2019, 2:44 pm   #25
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
I often have the eminently pocketable Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS18 on hand which, for its tiny size, produces excellent images. Its extending lens can pick up fluff, however, and it is a pain to take apart just to remove a tiny speck.
My Lumix that I mentioned earlier is an FS16. I agree it's a great little camera, and I haven't noticed a lens fluff problem, but maybe I've just been lucky. If anyone comes across one of the DMC-FS series in their local charity shop for a tenner or so I suggest that they grab it. Third party chargers and batteries are available for little money.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2019, 4:43 pm   #26
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Trouble with that version of Lightroom is that whilst it takes CR2 (Canon) RAW files, it won't take Sony ARW RAW files (why do camera / software manufacturers do this? ) and I have to use the Sony software to conver to TIFF files first. Then it's no bother. Fuji files didn't work directly either.
They do it to stop you going elsewhere when you feel it's time for a new camera, and also to ensure any pirate copies of the software are less useful to anyone else. Then they change the data formats to be incompatible with older versions of the software, creating a form of planned obsolescence. It's a common trick in the world of proprietary software!
Old 16th Mar 2019, 10:02 pm   #27
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
It's a common trick in the world of proprietary software!
I understand later versions of Lightroom (and very likely other image packages) will render the proprietary files satisfactorily, but of course this is a trick to get you to upgrade the software that will allow you to use cameras from different manufacturers!

I get the impression that to counter built-in obsolescence amongst camera manufacturers, they will offer software upgrades as time goes on. It seems like the whole process of digital photography from the camera to the PC and all the software on the journey to an image is deliberately hobbled to make money. Even if you get hold of an older, perfectly worthy digital camera, the software drivers to run the image processing will not necessarily be reverse compatible. It's forever onward, whether ready or not.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
russell_w_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2019, 6:22 pm   #28
Aerodyne
Octode

On the subject of 'darktable', can anyone enlighten me as how or if- it is possible to resize an image? Admittedly I've done very little with the program so far but I did need to resize an image and couldn't find a way to do so.

Paul, here's a link that might be of interest:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3940386

Tony
Aerodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2019, 8:53 am   #29
nebogipfel
Pentode

Just a comment on Photoshop alternatives. The very inexpensive "Affinity Photo" from Serif matches Photoshop in most features and exceeds it in some.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/desktop/

Going through the official tutorials demonstrates some of the power of this excellent program. https://forum.affinity.serif.com/ind...tutorials-200/

(Windows or Mac, no Linux version.)