UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2007, 11:48 am   #1
arjoll
Dekatron

Default SORD computers

The vintage programming language thread has reminded me - I've been meaning to ask if anyone else has used (or seen, or even heard of) SORD computers.

Our first computer at home was an M23 mkIII, which dad bought because the Southland Country Countil had just bought one for him to use for survey calculations etc (he had previously written code for them on in octal machine code on a Monroe 1880).

A few years later we upgraded to an M68, which was a strange thing with both a Z80 processor and 68000. WHen in the '8 bit' mode it ran SORD FDOS (you thought 8.3 was restrictive - FDOS was 6.3!), while it ran CP/M-68K in 16 bit mode.

Unfortunately SORD disappeared in the late 80's, after being taken over by Toshiba. Dad still has his M68, and my brother bought another one about 10 years ago. I've spent a couple of years trying to track down an M23 mk III, bu the closest I came was about 2 years too late . Last year I found an M23EX, which was an M23 in an M68 case, but its not the same!

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has used SORDs. It looked like they had some machines that were quite good for their time - one which could run a number of dumb terminals off a Z80 for example. They also had the M5, similar form factor to the Spectrum but which never really 'made it' in NZ.
Old 27th Feb 2007, 12:35 pm   #2
CanonMan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: SORD computers

I used to have a Sord M5, which I bought for the grand sum of £4 way back in about 1992.

It was in fairly good condition and worked, but I had no software for it, other than a BASIC-I cartridge, so I ended up selling it recently on eBay. I think I got about £25 for it
Closed Thread