UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2021, 9:03 pm   #1
Bongo 78
Diode

Default Electric Gramophone issue

Hi everyone
1st post so please be gentle , I own a Garrard RC65 and a Columbia 228R Electric Gramophone both have a Gramophone style head and use steel needles , i play both through a Tripeltone Convertible 3 amp and corner speaker , but ive noticed that when using the Columbia its so much quieter than the Garrard in fact i have to turn the amp full bung to get a half decent sound .......so at last my question is the output from these similar machines that different ? both use the same primitive magnet needle combination
Old 26th Nov 2021, 9:47 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Electric Gramophone issue

There is bound to be some variation in output between these 2 very old heads. Bear in mind that the Garrard RC65 will be "newer" and so may account for its stronger output. In some ways you are lucky to get a usable output from either using this relatively low-gain amplifier.
BTW I assume you are only using one channel of your Tripletone Convertible 3 driving the speaker.. If so, do ensure that other channel is sutably loaded to avoid permanent damage to it.
Old 26th Nov 2021, 12:48 pm   #3
RojDW48
Nonode

Wasn't the Tripletone Convertible a mono amp? The convertible bit being the ability to gang the controls through holes in the chassis to another mono amp to get stereo? Nice little things.

Which corner speaker are you using?
Old 26th Nov 2021, 1:05 pm   #4
RojDW48
Nonode

Maybe the material of the armature in the pick up head has crystalised over the years in the quieter one. I have replaced a couple where the material has hardened so much it's like china !
Old 26th Nov 2021, 3:18 pm   #5
Techman
Dekatron

You have to make sure that the rubber parts of the pickup head are in good condition, as they'll spoil records if they're not due to lack of compliance. I'd be particularly suspicious of the quieter one. Virtually all those magnetic heads of that type need overhauling by now - don't damage your records with them!
Old 27th Nov 2021, 3:24 pm   #6
B.Taylor
Tetrode

I have replaced the rubber damping pad in similar heads with a piece of kitchen rubber glove cut to size. Works really well.

Bill
Old 27th Nov 2021, 9:14 pm   #7
Bongo 78
Diode

Hi and thanks for all your replies so to all answer them all.
Edward the Tripletone is a Mono amp so no worries there thanks
rojDW48 I suspect the rubber has hardened , i also heard the rubbers can be replaced by using elastic bands but to be honest im not sure what part im replacing or exactly where they are in the head
Techman so you think the output would be less if the rubber was hardened ?

I use a Pye Cantata Type HF12/SC corner speaker and i love it it sounds great with my 78s
Old 29th Nov 2021, 12:50 pm   #8
Bongo 78
Diode

Ok so both heads are off and taken apart firstly im a little confused see attached picture from Columbia 228 , armature and piece that hold armature in position rubber seems fine very soft and pliable this is a horseshoe style magnet arrangement ... i though i was replacing rubber on edges of coil thats sits between magnets ? at least thats what it looks like on Collaro head that im doing the same job ........hope that makes sense
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1252.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	246900  
Closed Thread