UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2021, 9:12 am   #21
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Out with the old and in with the older. HMV 900 delivered!

That Bush T36, was that a 10" speaker in there - if so it would be the biggest ever ftted to any TV surely?
Old 11th Nov 2021, 10:23 am   #22
radiomarktv
Pentode

Did the Decca Model 131 projection have a 10" fitted. The HMV 900 speaker is an 8" and with the big cabinet gave a good output.
Mark.
Old 11th Nov 2021, 12:51 pm   #23
German Dalek
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
That Bush T36, was that a 10" speaker in there - if so it would be the biggest ever ftted to any TV surely?
No, if you allow the measurements of oval speakers, most german TV consoles of the 50s had bigger diameters.
Even some table sets (Graetz Kornett F 27/F37) had bigger speakers.
If we talk about round speakers only, my "Königin von SABA" console has about some 11" speakers.
My Electrosound-SABA console, made in Sidney/Australia is powered with a 12" or more speaker.
It is huge like one of a jukebox!

You will finde the tiniest speakers in italian TV sets, they are a shame to their beautiful sets.

Btw., my Murphy A56V has a monster speaker, too! Had to run in old big castles?

Regards,
German Dalek

MARC BOLAN, he was/is the real king of Pop Music!

Last edited by German Dalek; 11th Nov 2021 at 12:57 pm.
Old 11th Nov 2021, 3:42 pm   #24
beery
Heptode

Quote:
Hi Edward,
that particular T36 was a bit of a Frankenstein set. I wanted to re-create the first TV in the family (it was before my time). The T36 (a 17" set in Bush's first range of band 3 capable sets) is quite rare, so when an empty cabinet came available, (from Paul Ritchens RIP) I obtained it and broke up a TUG36 (console with doors) in order to obtain the chassis.
The TUG36 had a 10" speaker, but the T36 required a 8" speaker. Fortunately my Dad (whom the original set had been handed down to from his in-laws) had kept the original speaker grille and baffle board in the loft. He had also kept the knobs which are in the TV22 style, but unique in having a control marked 'Contrast' in the same style.

The Baird Garrick that I restored also had a 10" speaker to go with a 12" tube. The speaker had to be replaced after it had been turned into a mouse nest.

Cheers
Andy
Old 11th Nov 2021, 7:12 pm   #25
dtvmcdonald
Pentode

Quote:
Of course not. My 1940 RCA TRK-120 cabinet and MW-SW radio has a 15" one. The TV chassis in it is a 1938 TRK12 one
Old 21st Nov 2021, 1:08 am   #26
beery
Heptode

Hi all,
I've done some research and worked out the chain of ownership that this set has gone through since the 1990s. It actually appears in the book "Historic Televisions and Video recorders", but it is not in "TV is King".
As a result of this research I was able to get in contact with the person that overhauled the set many years ago.
He was able to confirm that television sound has never worked since the overhaul of the radio unit and he had no alignment equipment to locate the problem.

So it looks like there will be plenty for me to get on with ��

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by beery; 21st Nov 2021 at 1:11 am. Reason: Grammar
Old 21st Nov 2021, 9:25 am   #27
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi Andy,

It does indeed appear in "Historic Televisions and Video Recorders" but in my copy it is not correctly labelled with its own serial number H 6288 but rather with the serial number of the Marconiphone 705 serial number H/1 8242 that appears earlier in the book.

Peter
Closed Thread