UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2018, 7:57 am   #1
joebog1
Banned

Default U-Drive screw removal

Hello everybody,
I hope this is the correct place to post this question.

I have been given some equipment that needs painting. Said equipment has lots of labels made from thin aluminium plate that are held on by Drive Screws, also known as U-Drive screws.
https://www.rivetsonline.com/drive-screws#1

Most of you will be familiar with them, especially those that work with motors and transformers.

They are similar in appearance to PK ( self tapping) screws, but are driven into the steel of the transformer case, or motor frame, usually by use of a hammer. They do not have a slot to unscrew them however.

Does anybody have any idea of how to remove them? please.

Thanks in advance
Joe
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 11:26 am   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: U-Drive screw removal

Do the holes they're fitted into go all the way through the panel?

If so can you drift them out from the back?
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 11:35 am   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Can you drill into the head and use a screw removal kit (something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078LMYL..._t3_B01N3SUAGE which is just a random one I found online)?

Obviously you would need to take care not to damage the labels.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 11:48 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

The heads on these things are too hard to be drilled. They're cheap and cheap to fit, but their attraction is for fitting things makers don't want to be removable, like serial plates.

I've removed some in the past using a blunted chisel to knock the heads sideways until they loosen and can be pried up and out. The drive screw is always harder than what it's driven into, so the hole gets cut and swaged wider. However, it's hard not to damage the plate.

Grind the heads off and drift them right through if you can. Grind the heads off and drill new Holes to offset the plate if you can't.

David
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 11:56 am   #5
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I can see two problems, they aren't really intended to be removed, and however you do remove them, you'll then have to refit the labels after painting.

As your link says, the screw is made of harder material than the parts it's joining.

I think I'd leave them in place and mask the labels so you can paint over them.

I think you can get a rubbery paint-on masking solution which is readily peeled off afterwards, although I haven't used it myself.
Andy
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 12:23 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

You can sometime remove them by using end-cutters (not your best pair!) to grab them as close to the panel as possible and then pull/turn anticlockwise to get them out.
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 12:45 pm   #7
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Tricky little blighters. If you had access to an MRI maybe the magnets would pull them out.
Spot welt onto them?
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 12:49 pm   #8
vidjoman
Dekatron

Upholsterers tack remover might work. Similar to using cutters with a V slot on a screwdriver type handle that can be tapped into place under the head.
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 12:57 pm   #9
rontech
Heptode

I have found the "Dremel" high speed ( up to 20,000 rpm ) tool, fitted with the appropriate bit; can be useful for that type of operation.

Wear good eye protection and take light cuts from the head.
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 1:17 pm   #10
emeritus
Dekatron

For removing nails that have lost their heads I grip the protruding end with a pair of self-locking pliers of the type that used to be known as Mole Grips. I presently use a Vise Grip pair that have square ends with serrations on the tips. if you can grind two flats on opposite sides large enough to grip, this might work. However, as noted above, they are intended for making permanent fixings.

These screws are listed in the section on American Standard self tapping screws in Machinery's Book of Screw Threads, along with more familiar types such as Type AB, and are designated Type U.
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 1:29 pm   #11
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

Yes Dremel type tool with the thinnest cutting disk you have, make a slot to start, use a second best screwdriver to loosen.
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 10:50 pm   #12
joebog1
Banned

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will try the Dremel tool and cutting disc to try make a slot. I will keep you posted.

Joe
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 11:44 am   #13
GRID LEAK
Triode

Just a thought, but if you can get to the rear of the panel and accurately mark the position of the little blighters, you could try drilling a hole from behind them and drive them out from there.

John
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 1:14 pm   #14
Radio Wrangler

Before cutting a slot, give them a tap around to try to loosen them and improve your chances when you try to turn them.

David