UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Oct 2016, 11:04 pm   #1
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default BVWS North West, Golborne 6th November 2016

The Golborne BVWS swap meet is coming Sunday 6th November, just west of Manchester.

http://www.bvws.org.uk/events/locations.php

Doors open at 10 (stall holders 9.30). The usual variety of stalls selling Radio, Television, Audio, Communications receivers, Test gear, Valves, Components, Spares, etc. Working 405 line TV display. Ample free parking, hot and cold refreshments available. The BVWS stall will be there selling the usual range of capacitors, Deoxit, etc., so you can stock up the workshop for the coming winter months. And a van load of quality items from the bulging BVWS stores at 'we don't want to take stuff back' prices! And all major debit/credit cards now taken at the BVWS stall!

It's a members only event but you may bring a guest for a sample visit. You can join or renew membership on the day.

See you there!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 17th Oct 2016, 7:11 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS North West, Golborne 6th November

And don't forget the Bring & Buy, where you can offer a few items for sale and 10% of the price goes to society funds to support the museum. Unwanted items can also be offered for sale with all the proceeds to funds if you prefer.

Either way, please don't forget to retrieve any unsold items before you go - otherwise someone (usually me) has to try to find car space and storage space for them.

I also have two boxes of Practical Wireless magazines and just over two of Practical Electronics, plus a few Everyday Electronics still looking for a home free of charge for collection from Golborne. See this thread for details.
Old 17th Oct 2016, 9:43 am   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I'll be there!
Old 17th Oct 2016, 10:00 am   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I will be there with a table full of the hard to get parts. If you need anything special please Pmail me before the 6th and I will do my best to help.

John.
Old 17th Oct 2016, 9:01 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

To expand on what Greg has already said [and there has been confusion in the past] Golborne is a relaxed event and nobody who turns up with a genuine intent will be turned away. As Mike Barker has said previously, it really isn't in anyone's interest to discourage membership.

It's not at all formal so don't be put off or feel you have to be directly accompanied to get in-someone will assist. I know this can be a problem because people I've encouraged re the far North [or indeed Punnets Town] have said they only turned up because of that and at least two of them joined.

Dave Walsh,
Bexhill [until November]

[For info BVWS member since at least 1995].
Old 17th Oct 2016, 9:52 pm   #6
audiomagpie
Heptode

Thank you Dave, very well explained!

Genuine visitors are always very warmly welcomed and indeed encouraged to any of our events. If you don't get to come in and see what we're all about and talk with others of shared interests, how could we expect you to join?

We have had a few isolated incidents, where a past member has not renewed their membership then have turned up at events to gain entry as a visitor, with no intention of renewing. This is totally unfair on paying members and is unethical. This is all we are trying to prevent. The intention has never been 'strictly members only' or 'closed shop' but regretfully has sometimes come across that way!

Please do come along and enjoy. 10am is a good time to arrive, things usually start to quieten down a bit after lunch. If you want more information about the BVWS we can give you some to take away, you can then decide if you'd like to join and get back in touch. But if you want to take the plunge you can also join on the day at any meeting.

See you there!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 18th Oct 2016, 12:31 am   #7
bikerhifinut
Octode

I hope to be there.
And it will be good to be able to renew membership at the BVWS stall.
Mike I haven't forgotten about those transformers, I've been kind of tied up with the house renovations and another bout of ill health.

Andy.
Old 19th Oct 2016, 8:06 pm   #8
KeithsTV
Nonode

I'll be there in the side room from around 11:30 with a talk on Valves and Valve testing. All are welcome.

Keith
Old 4th Nov 2016, 8:54 am   #9
stevekendal
Heptode

Afraid I have to miss this one because we are heading off to Whitby shortly for the Goth weekend with me dressed up like a funeral director. Its quite likely however that I will come back with more dust and rust to pedal at the next one in Spring.
Old 4th Nov 2016, 1:41 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

What a shame you can't make a guest appearance in full Frankenstein Monster "Muffti" Steve . There's plenty of electricity involved in that Gothic tale of course!

Dave W
Old 6th Nov 2016, 7:31 pm   #11
Mark James
Hexode

Another excellent Northern meeting with a very informative talk by Keith and comprehensive handout to come. He asked for suggestions for 2018 ... how about an introduction to TV restoration/fault finding etc?

I came home with far more than intended!!!

Mark
Old 6th Nov 2016, 8:03 pm   #12
KeithsTV
Nonode

There was good turn out at Golborne for the talk with all seats taken.It was also shorter than previous years (to give you more time to spend your money with the stall holders ) and more modern technology in the form of a Powerpoint presentation for the various diagrams. As in previous years I've attached the notes, part of which are based on the Sussex valve tester manual.

While preparing the talk I noticed three minor errors in the Sussex manual, nothing which affects the construction or use. In case you wish to correct your manual here are the corrections.

Page 3 4th paragraph "-3V to -5V" should read "-7V to -5V".

Page 4 2nd paragraph "Va/Ia" should read "Vg/Ia"

Page 57 "EABC81" should read "EABC80"

As there is a new PCB available I'll be producing an update to the manual in the new year.

Keith

PS thanks to Mark for the PW
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Valves and Valve Testing.pdf (758.5 KB, 309 views)
Old 6th Nov 2016, 8:09 pm   #13
Dave Moll
Dekatron

In the sense that for once my car had more space in it on the way home than on the way out (even if that did involve some "pressure selling" on my part), this was certainly a successful day as far as I'm concerned.

At one point I was a little concerned that there wouldn't be much in the way of takings for the B&B stall to hand in, as it consisted mainly of the 10% commission from a few personal sales, but I did manage to shift some donation items toward the end to bolster the funds.

Thank you to everyone who either brought or bought - and apologies to those whom I talked into taking home things they hadn't intended to acquire! Be warned - items not disposed of today will probably resurface in April. There should also be some new goodies from my continuing efforts to clear some space.
Old 7th Nov 2016, 4:42 pm   #14
dave walsh
Dekatron

Very enjoyable visit. Thanks to Dave and M Martin. Plus Ed D who helped me find him.
Dave W
Closed Thread