UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2021, 12:35 pm   #1
arama1943
Diode

Default Ferguson stereo tape recorder 3232

I bought this in 1968. I can play and record tapes to a CD recorder at normal recording levels, but the volume from the internal speakers is very low even on on full volume setting. The volume to the recorder is not affected by the tape recorder's volume control.

Any suggestions how to resolve. I have the machine out of the case now.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 3:39 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson stereo tape recorder 3232

Do you mean when monitoring the signal during the process of recording - or on playback of the recording?
Old 20th Jan 2021, 4:46 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

As the volume to both speakers is low that narrows things down a bit. The thing I find odd is that the level to your CD recorder is OK. Is the sound good when you monitor or listen to the new recording? If it's muffled it could be nothing more than dirty heads.You may have a power supply issue, but on a solid-state stereo machine I'd expect the line output to be affected as well.
Old 21st Jan 2021, 8:25 am   #4
dazzlevision
Dekatron

This machine uses the Thorn DC432 stereo tape deck, which was developed from the Thorn DC43 three speed, four track mono deck.

As a result, its rather unusual in that there are, in effect, two "play" piano keys that engage the tape drive (for play or record modes). One key selects track 1 or 3 (or left channel) and the other selects 2 or 4 (or right channel). So, both have to be depressed for stereo playback or record. Each key operates a slider switch directly below it (on the underside of the deck).

If only one key is pressed, then the signal off tape is applied to both power output stages and internal loudspeakers.

The record/playback switching is controlled by what were the two track selection pushbuttons on the mono DC43 deck. These two red topped pushbuttons are mechanically linked to the two long slider switches on the PCB.

There is only one dc power supply rail for the all-transistor electronics (contained on a single PCB). From memory, it's around 24V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3831.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	225060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1580.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	225061  
Closed Thread