UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jan 2021, 4:59 pm   #1
musicaudio
Diode

Default Grundig TK20

Hi,

I have the Grundig TK20, is it best to record using the 5pin Diode input (also does this use the valves this way), it will be a line out from my Analog mixing desk, or is it best to use the 3 pin microphone (I would prob need some phanton power for this?) and that is if I can find a 3 pin to jack. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grundig.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	224461  
Old 12th Jan 2021, 6:05 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig TK20

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

For a line level signal the microphone input would too sensitive and get overloaded.

The Diode input is also quite sensitive, the Radio input would be better, but could try both for comparison.

All 3 inputs feed into the first valve in the pre-amp stage the EF 86, with different signal levels and impedances.

The TK 20 microphone signal input on pin 1 is also supplied with a nominal 100V DC low current high impedance polarising supply for the old Grundig Condenser microphones, pin 2 being screen.

Pin 1 is also the signal and pin 2 the screen on the Radio and Diode DIN inputs.

David
Old 12th Jan 2021, 6:22 pm   #3
musicaudio
Diode

Talking Re: Grundig TK20

Thank you.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 7:22 pm   #4
musicaudio
Diode

Also do you know where to find the 3 Pin DIN to Jack cables, I did read that the KLEIN TUCHEL to xlr might work but I can only find the female connection, not the male. Thanks.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 11:02 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes does not seem easy to find 3 pin DIN to Jack plug cables. Easy to find 5 pin DIN to Jack plug cables but these are stereo cables normally and 5 pin DIN will not fit the TK 20.

Easy to find 3 pin DIN plugs and easy to wire to a suitable Jack Plug or XLR.

Am not familiar with the Klein Tuchel connectors so do not know their compatibility with DIN audio connectors.

David
Old 12th Jan 2021, 11:25 pm   #6
musicaudio
Diode

Thanks David, will look into putting one together (3 pin to jack), be good if I can use Mono TRS to reduce noise.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 11:31 pm   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Tuchels don't seat too well in domestic DIN sockets, especially if there is a peripheral moulding, as on Grundigs - the threaded barrel gets in the way. A proper DIN plug is the way to go.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 12:40 am   #8
musicaudio
Diode

Thanks again, will look into wiring one up, do you know if a TRS Jack will work well (trying to reduce as much noise as possible)
Old 13th Jan 2021, 11:37 am   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

TRS (3 contacts) is normally for stereo, the DIN being mono (in this case) only has 2 required connections.

Even though the TK 20 can produce adequate results do not expect Hi-Fi performance.
Old 15th Jan 2021, 12:11 am   #10
TerryB44
Pentode

Switch Electronics have a full range of DIN plugs including 3 pin. Find them on Ebay - just type 3 pin DIN in the search box.
Closed Thread