UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2012, 12:05 pm   #1
whyperion
Hexode

Default Bakelite pendant bayonet caps/connectors.

While looking for something else I found one of my mini piles of Bakelite I have hung onto. What's unusual, or not, all four and a half are different designs. One is embossed Crabtree, one does not have a permanent lampshade ring, some don't have brass circular inserts - just the spring loaded pips. Having had modern plastic in some new installations crumble already, are these safe and OK to use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0282.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	72657   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0283.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	72658  
Old 12th Nov 2012, 1:25 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Bakelite Pendant Bayonent Caps / Connectors

I wouldn't use ones with no reinforcing insert on anything over about 40W. Should be fine with low energy bulbs, though. They would have been cheap ones when new, though they would still have lasted a year or two.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 12th Nov 2012, 5:23 pm   #3
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Whyperion,

suggest not throwing any lampholder (or part) away, unless it has really 'had it'.

Reason is, that while the threads look the same, often there are slight differences such that parts are not easy (or impossible) to interchange with another lampholder.

Good Luck - Mike
Old 12th Nov 2012, 6:18 pm   #4

Keep them, better made than anything done today. Funny we have safe shuttered 13A sockets but light bulb holders let you stick a finger right on the mains.

Old 12th Nov 2012, 6:43 pm   #5
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi,

Not necessarily. There are lampholders around these days that have a spring loaded disc that shields the live parts (to an extent) if no lamp is fitted. But I don't think they're as common as they ought to be.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 12th Nov 2012, 9:06 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Does anyone remember a style of 'safety' BC lampholder where the spring-loaded pins moved in the housing separate from the screw-terminals, in such a way that when the bulb was removed the sprung pins electrically disconnected themselves from the supply?

Only when the bulb was inserted did the pins get pushed up to contact the terminals. I think they were by Crabtree?
Old 12th Nov 2012, 10:38 pm   #7
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

My parents' Christmas tree lights used to have a bakelite bayonet fitment and socket wired as an extension lead. My Father had sellotaped over the terminals at the base just in case anyone picked it up!

Frightening when there were two inquisitive toddlers around.

Rob
Closed Thread