UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2012, 12:52 pm   #1
ljones0
Tetrode

Default Ancient Hoover washing machine.

Hello all,

Was just wondering about something here btw. I, or rather my parents, have a very old Hoover washing machine model 3019T. It's quite a small device but absolutely ancient possibly about 40 years old. Looking inside it's a pretty simple device, almost zero sign of any electronics (indeed its timer is mechanical).

Unfortunately there's a pump inside which the machine uses to remove water which has pretty much ceased up; the metal shaft is ultra stiff, an attempt to oil it failed. Also a rubber or plastic pipe (not sure) appears to have completely perished. I doubt that this machine is economically viable to repair but just wondered. A search on the 'net revealed nothing.

Annoyingly the actual spinning motor, seperate from the pump, is still pretty much 100%.

Any thoughts?

Some images;

Click image for larger version

Name:	w1.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	72571
The part at the bottom right next to the castor wheel is the water pump. Just below it running along the bottom length of the machine is the black pipe though it looks like it has perished/cracked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	w2.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	72572
The machine itself.

ljones

Last edited by ljones0; 10th Nov 2012 at 1:04 pm.
Old 10th Nov 2012, 1:46 pm   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Ancient Hoover washing machine.

It's not that old, we had one similar when we got married in 1963 only ours had a wringer in the top. You won't find any electronics in it, there weren't any then, and how much easier they were to repair.

The pump motor seizing was quite common even back then, you will need to take it out to get enough purchase to move it, you may need to take it apart, they are very simple so you can't do much harm.

Peter
Old 10th Nov 2012, 2:07 pm   #3
ljones0
Tetrode

Interesting thanks for that but I wonder if that black pipe inside (It's a bit hard to see in the picture) can be replaced as well? Guess it can't be that hard, maybe a plastic pipe would work?

I did notice there's a part on top of the pump motor that can be removed via allen key though that seems to be just as stiff as the motor itself and refuses to move. Though it looks like the whole part (the pump) can come out.

ljones
Old 10th Nov 2012, 2:21 pm   #4
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

There is a good chance that some of the spares places will still have parts for them.

The pumps did seize up, but can be freed quite easily.
The hose may be available. There are one or two spares dealers in the Bournemouth area who may help.
Old 10th Nov 2012, 2:23 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
...The pump motor seizing was quite common..
I too have seen identical pumps fail in Hoover twin tub machines in the past. One thing that strikes me though is the "Spinarinse" logo on the second picture suggests that this is a spin dryer and not a washing machine, also the belt arrangement seems to indicate that there is only one motor, the pump being a mechanical device driven from a separate pulley (and belt) on the main motor shaft.

As Peter N. mentions you can't do a lot of harm by dismantling the pump, if at all possible, and attempting a repair.

Andrew
Old 10th Nov 2012, 2:43 pm   #6
ljones0
Tetrode

Ah! Well, I've not even seen this thing for years. I think it probably is a spin dryer! Thanks for that Clears up a lot.

Those belts remind me of VCRs.

I think I'll have to take out the entire pump, trying to remove the part that's attached to it is pretty hard it's rock solid even after attempting to unscrew with an allen key (it removes the top part of it only from what I can see) though I'd need to be he-man to do that! Will look further, other bolts/screws to remove looks like those will come out though.

Any way possible to change the black pipe inside the machine at all? (Bottom of the picture, connecting I'm guessing to the drum). That looks to have perished.

ljones

Last edited by ljones0; 10th Nov 2012 at 2:56 pm.
Old 10th Nov 2012, 4:33 pm   #7
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
The hoses in this type of machine were often just held on with "Spring type" hose clips so should be reasonably easy to change, I suspect that they will be made from some type of vulcanized rubber and will have suffered from the years of detergent laden water being pumped through them.

Whether the hoses are still available for this type of machine remains to be seen, the outlet hose (if required) could be replaced by a generic which are available from repairers and, more than likely, the internet.

It might be worth giving the seized pump a spray with WD40 and leaving it to soak in before attempting to dismantle.

Andrew
Old 10th Nov 2012, 6:53 pm   #8
ljones0
Tetrode

You're absolutely right, I did see some of those spring clips about. I can find the outlet hose ok after looking again (though at a high price!) but it's that internal (black) one I can't find anything about. Could a hose made from some sort of plastic possibly be a replacement?

Did try to spray some WD 40 into the pump and let it soak though there weren't too many holes in which to get the WD 40 into! There's a part on top of the pump which the belt goes round, I did try to remove it (there's a hole for an allen key) but it's pretty stiff. Guessing I'd have to take the whole thing out.

ljones
Old 10th Nov 2012, 7:14 pm   #9
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones0 View Post
....Could a hose made from some sort of plastic possibly be a replacement?
I'm not sure about the plastic hose on this one. Your other option might be a short car radiator hose, if you can find one of the correct dimensions, a scrapyard might be useful for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones0 View Post
There's a part on top of the pump which the belt goes round (there's a hole for an Allen key)
That sounds like the pulley which will be part of the pump assembly itself, the Allen bolt will release the pulley from the pump operating shaft, it's most likely this shaft which needs a good squirt of WD40.

I seem to recall, on the twin tub which I once owned (which used a similar/the same type of pump) I removed the large hose and was then able to access the pump blades, via the pump inlet, and force them free with the help of a suitable tool. You may be lucky and find that something has become stuck in the pump blades which is causing lack of rotation.

Andrew
Old 11th Nov 2012, 2:31 am   #10
Refugee
Dekatron

The hose could be removed and taken to a big car spares shop for a match to be found for you. They will usually find you a longer one that will need the bit you want cut out of it.
Old 11th Nov 2012, 9:48 am   #11
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Yes it is a spin dryer, the drive being to the bottom of the drum should have been a give away, I obviously didn't look at it properly, as usual its about the same size and shape as our washing machine though and the same principles apply.

Peter
Closed Thread