UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2012, 11:24 pm   #1
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Default Vintage electric fence controller?

Chaps,

Ive (I've) been asked to identify a piece of equipment, ive (I've) been sent a photo http://www.riseway.co.uk/photos/urbe.../mini-box4.jpg

I think its (it's) likely to be an electric fence controller, but can anyone make a positive ID?

Cheers

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 14th Nov 2012, 11:47 am   #2
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Vintage electric fence controller?

I can't see the works but it looks home made.

I have some old fencers here, they are all in metal boxes and weather almost proof.

The old fencers had a flywheel contactor to switch the primary of a 1:20 or so transformer, they clocked at about once per second.

The early ones used 6V as this was the standard motor cycle and car battery voltage. Modern ones usually use 10V batteries (guess where these come from) or the mains.

I supplied three fencers for the series 'Wartime Farm' and they chose an HSI unit. I have since found that this was made in the 50s as was most of the equipment in the films.

It seems a pity to disturb the rats but a good blow out (for fourpence) and a photo of the works would help. Is the wire PVC insulated?
Old 14th Nov 2012, 12:47 pm   #3
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Hi Trevor, thanks,

Hmm, the plot thickens on this!

The unit is located on a derelict site, the whole site is bizarre and holds artifacts from many, many different activities, which is why the person who discovered this is so interested in what it is.

The rules of urbex state that nothing should be moved or removed from a site* (take only photos, leave only footprints etc) so we cant (can't) recover it to inspect outside of the site, and im (I'm) not located close enough to visit myself. I will ask the chap to get more in depth photos when he next visits.

I cant (can't) think of anything else it could be though. There seem to be no controls on it. It looks to have two valves (iI can see the bottoms of two holders) but very little else?

*this is something which frustrates me a lot, as often vintage radios etc are found in desperate need of restoration and a good home, but not only would removing them be illegal (exploring the site is a civil 'wrong' but taking anything at all is criminal) but it would detract from the context. We visit these sites to document that state of decay, and record them before the vandals, pikies and bulldozers destroy them. We see things that should be in museums all the time, knowing they will either be destroyed or eventually stolen, and its (it's) a shame but we cant (can't) do anything.

Last edited by Martin G7MRV; 14th Nov 2012 at 12:59 pm.
Old 14th Nov 2012, 2:37 pm   #4
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I don't see the two valve holders but is that a valve at 7 o'clock from the central thingamy.

The wire and resistors look post war. The plug may be for an HT battery.

The central thingamy may be an HF transformer to produce high voltages which would be connected to the insulated terminals on the lid.

What was the site used for?
Old 14th Nov 2012, 2:51 pm   #5
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

You may need to magnify the image to see the holders through the dirt and debris.

They are either side of the thing in the middle, i thought a transformer of some sort for that, i certainly cant think of anything else!

The site is/was a large house with lots of outbuildings and greenhouses, there is evidence that some animals were kept.

Old 14th Nov 2012, 5:29 pm   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Vintage electric fence controller?

Hi,
I can just see the central spigot & tags of the underside of a valveholder behind the blue wire to the right of the central coil thingy. If it is a fence controller (personally, I'm not so sure), then the glass envelope below the coil could be a neon lamp that triggers the HV pulse when it "fires".
I love looking at old stuff like this. Just a shame that it can't be legally saved. I imagine getting permission from the owner could be difficult.
Cheers,Pete