UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Nov 2012, 7:01 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Hair dryer motor suppression

I'm trying to fix up an old Hawkins Supreme hair dryer. It uses a bushed motor and as you can see in the photo there's a couple of capacitors. I guess these capacitors are for mains suppression, but I don't think they're original. For a start they are made by RS and that soldered connection, to the aluminium housing (earthed) was never going to work, was it.

Does anybody know how the original suppression capacitor was fitted and how I should "modernize" the arrangement?

Thanks
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050039.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	72055  
Old 1st Nov 2012, 9:04 pm   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Default Re: Hair dryer motor suppression

Hi,

To my untrained eye, they look to be far too small a value. I have a Eumig P8 film projector and a Silex hand held food mixer and they both had cylindrical paper/wax suppression caps with three wires; I think, one to each brush and the third (green?) to the frame.

With age they eventually went "pop"!, but I'm blowed if I can remember what I replaced them with. I wasn't going for originality so chose caps of value and working voltage from whatever I had handy. I'd have to open them up to see what now lurks within.

Of course, soldering to aluminium is never going to work!

Cheers,
Pete
Old 2nd Nov 2012, 10:12 am   #3
newlite4
Octode

Regards the earth connection itself David, I would be inclined to drill and tap to 6BA and fit a solder tag.
Neil
Old 2nd Nov 2012, 10:19 am   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Yes, there is a hole under that blob of solder that I could use. I could then fit two Y class 470pf capacitors.

I recently restored a couple of electric fans, of a similar vintage, but I can't remember them having any suppression capacitors. I do wonder if this hair dryer ever had them originally?

David
Closed Thread