UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2020, 9:34 pm   #21
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: What was it- TRS or UAX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
I guess I'm not alone in being fazed by TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms)

TRS?.........telephone repeater station?
UAX?
CEL?
UAX stands for 'Unit Automatic Exchange' but haven't a clue what CEL stands for.

HTH

(hope this helps)

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 11:36 pm   #22
GlenTyan
Triode

Can I add "SAX" to the list. From my memory which is failing fast it stood for Small Automatic Exchange and was the next step up from a UAX. I visited lots of them from Dumfries in the South to the Inner Hebrides Islands like Mull and Islay between 1988 up to and including the digital transfers as part of Gateway Alarm and Line Test Support Unit. I recall the Loganswell site now that it's been mentioned, at least it didn't have sheep poo all round the door like a lot of UAX's.

Graham.
Old 6th Mar 2020, 12:14 am   #23
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenTyan View Post
Can I add "SAX" to the list. From my memory which is failing fast it stood for Small Automatic Exchange and was the next step up from a UAX. I visited lots of them from Dumfries in the South to the Inner Hebrides Islands like Mull and Islay between 1988 up to and including the digital transfers as part of Gateway Alarm and Line Test Support Unit. I recall the Loganswell site now that it's been mentioned, at least it didn't have sheep poo all round the door like a lot of UAX's.

Graham.
This exchange (an IAX5 - I'll leave you guessing on that one ? ) came complete with a nosey sheep - not bothered by presence of a human !

Or what about the other one in an 8ft by 10ft garden shed - in middle of second picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IAX5 Exch Building.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	200338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exch Bldge.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	200339   Click image for larger version

Name:	exchange building !.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	200340  
Old 6th Mar 2020, 1:32 pm   #24
bc312
Pentode

Quote:
UAX stands for 'Unit Automatic Exchange' but haven't a clue what CEL stands for.
CEL stands for Coaxial Equipment Line.

Mike

BVWS member, EUG, G-QRP
Radio Bygones/Radiophile
Old 11th Mar 2020, 11:04 pm   #25
Oldcodger
Nonode

Remiss of me to give just abbreviations.
TRS (from memory ) was Transmission repeater station .
Most of the surface transmission buildings were at the last CEL( COAXIAL LINE EQUIPMENT ) ,mostly type 6A which was a 4MHz link with power fed over the coax.
http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/ate/main...el1.html#Valve
Type 51 referred to the rack panel size, but used valves.

Another one was CSE ( Country satellite exchange) , not in a building, but some sort of relay set ( I'll leave the description to those who worked on them) , usually mounted in a box on a pole .

Last edited by Oldcodger; 11th Mar 2020 at 11:26 pm.
Old 12th Mar 2020, 11:28 pm   #26
Oldcodger
Nonode

I've been doing a bit research and have found a couple of downloads which I can't link to.
The Journal of The Communications Network • Volume 5 Part 1 • January–March 2006, with a title of shorthistory.pdf ,which is a POEEEJ release Vol74, OCT81 .
Both suggest that this was a CEL6/6A route from Birmingham ( possibly further north) to Coventry and hence on to Northampton, and possibly London.
Closed Thread