UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2020, 1:15 pm   #1
veandreas

Default These two "radios?" got me interested.

Hello everyone,

These 2 devices I found at work got me interested.
I'm wondering what they are and if it's possible to communicate with them.
I work at the Belgian railroads maybe that's a hint?
I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Kind regards,
Andreas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200221_120722.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	199435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200221_120711.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	199436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200221_120706.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	199437  
Old 21st Feb 2020, 2:01 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: These 2 "radio's ?" got me interested

Hi Andreas and welcome.
These "Devices" aren't radios they're line telephones. I'd guess that if you connect the two terminals on one telephone, via a length of wire to the same two on the other telephone, they probably will work.
Old 21st Feb 2020, 3:17 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I wonder if the rail track may have been used as a conductor? Just a thought. John.
Old 21st Feb 2020, 4:31 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
I'd guess that if you connect the two terminals on one telephone, via a length of wire to the same two on the other telephone, they probably will work.
... so long as they have working batteries in them. With or without batteries, winding the handle on one should operate a magneto that will ring the other unit.

By the way, is there any chance of a close-up of what looks like a diagram surrounding the magneto handle.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 21st Feb 2020 at 4:34 pm. Reason: by the way...
Old 21st Feb 2020, 7:00 pm   #5
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Nice field telephones, never seen that version before, but usually all field telephones work the same way. The Norwegian railroad used field-telephones too, going by train her you may still se some poles with a blue sign with a yellow T. Then one of 2, a jack for the field telephone, or a fixed telephone.

dsk
Old 21st Feb 2020, 7:20 pm   #6

Quote:
The Norwegian railroad used field-telephones too, going by train her you may still se some poles with a blue sign with a yellow T.
Makes sense pre "mobile 'phones" or unlicensed radio, I wonder if British Rail (or their predecessors) did the same. The London underground has bare telephone wires along the below ground bits to this day (you can see them out of the window when taking a trip), the driver can simply clip their 'phone to them to communicate. Radio isn't very good underground.

Old 21st Feb 2020, 7:30 pm   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have a field-telephone-like thing labelled 'BR' which I always assumed was from British Rail. It looks like a handset with a couple of buttons (one to energise the speech circuit, the other to apply ringing voltage (battery + buzzer chopper -- the buzzer coil is the speech induction coil too, and you end up with a sizeable voltage on the line, making a loud buzz from the earpiece of the connected telephone). There is no separate ringer/bell in this unit.

I have attached the circuit that I traced out from mine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BR_A47.pdf (205.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 21st Feb 2020, 7:40 pm   #8
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I have a field-telephone-like thing labelled 'BR' which I always assumed was from British Rail. It looks like a handset with a couple of buttons (one to energise the speech circuit, the other to apply ringing voltage (battery + buzzer chopper -- the buzzer coil is the speech induction coil too, and you end up with a sizeable voltage on the line, making a loud buzz from the earpiece of the connected telephone). There is no separate ringer/bell in this unit.

I have attached the circuit that I traced out from mine.
could be the diagram for this one: https://digitaltmuseum.no/0210262459.../media?slide=0
dsk
Old 21st Feb 2020, 7:44 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

It looks very like that, but there are a pair of push-insert-release terminals, not a cable (I can't see how the cable connects in that photo, it might be the same).
Closed Thread