UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Oct 2019, 12:08 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default ‘Wee’ Megger – Series 3 250V, Insulation Tester for sale.

I’ve had this instrument for quite some year now. It works fine, but for some time I’ve had a Victor VC60B digital insulation tester which has a range of test voltages up to 1,000 Volts, so the Megger has had little use of late and is surplus to requirements., hence, I’m offering it for sale. It’s in good working order, generates a healthy voltage above the stipulated 250V. Incidentally, the needle on these instruments just 'floats' - it doesn't return to zero. When the handle is cranked, for an open circuit the needle will move to infinity, and for a short circuit it will move to zero. If there is any leakage in a circuit to which it is connected, as the handle is cranked the needle will settle to indicate the resistance of such leakage.

The dial is calibrated from 20,000 Ohms to 20 MegOhms. I’ve tested it with several resistors – 10k, 100k, 1 Meg, 10 Megs etc, and it seems to be quite accurate, (not that it’s meant to be used as substitute for an Ohm-Meter). I’ve tested a few old discarded ‘waxy’ caps and it gives leakage reading similar to those on my digital insulation tester.

The top of the Bakelite case has been cracked and neatly repaired at some time before it came into my possession, as will be seen from the pictures below.

As is generally known, when checking such things as ‘waxy’ paper tubular capacitors for electrical leakage, they can’t be merely connected to a multi-meter on the high Ohms range as they need to be tested at nearer their working voltage, for which a ‘Megger’ is ideal.

For anyone unfamiliar with these instruments, the circuit under test is connected to the two spring loaded sockets by slipping the bare connecting wires into the sockets.
The cranked handle is then rotated by hand and generates a 250 Volt test voltage. The handle doesn’t need to be rotated furiously - say just one turn per second. I’ve no idea when this particular instrument was made, (most likely 1950s – early 60s), but the GB patent number, (4007278) was granted in 1933.

There's a YouTube video of one being demonstrated here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULQ-vumIj1s

Hopefully this will find a new home at Ł5.00 & Ł3.00 post 2nd class Post Office small parcel (UK only).

PayPal or a cheque is fine, after the meter has been safely received.

(No Hat).

These instruments are well documented here:

http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/megger.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	192199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	192200   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic5.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	192201  
Old 21st Oct 2019, 2:31 pm   #2
neil29
Heptode

Default Re: ‘Wee’ Megger – Series 3 250V, Insulation Tester for sale.

Yes please David.

Thanks
Neil.
Old 21st Oct 2019, 3:32 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: ‘Wee’ Megger – Series 3 250V, Insulation Tester for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil29 View Post
Yes please David.

Thanks
Neil.
OK Neil,

Thanks for your interest.

Please PM me your postal name and address and I'll get it off to you.
Closed Thread