UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Old 30th May 2020, 9:47 pm   #1
wireless_john
Hexode

Default Apple Lisa Mouse

I have an Apple Macintosh 512k. See picture.

I was told recently that the mouse isn't a Mac mouse but is in fact an Apple Lisa mouse and when I checked the part number, sure enough it was. I'm also told that it's quite rare and valuable. Not that I want to sell it.

I read that the original Lisa mouse had a steel ball in it but mine has a rubber one. So my question is, does anyone know if all Lisa mice had a steel ball or did some, later on in production, have a rubber ball?

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mac512k.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	207262  
Old 31st May 2020, 8:38 am   #2
vidjoman
Nonode

Default Re: Apple Lisa Mouse

I think all the mechanical mice that I've seen had a rubber coated steel ball. The steel ball for weight and rubber coating for grip. I suppose that it could have just been a steel ball (ball bearings were available) in early models - I've not seen one though.
vidjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 10:35 am   #3
wireless_john
Hexode

No, neither have I.

I read this: 'Unique to this mouse was the use of a steel ball, instead of the usual rubber found in subsequent and modern mice.'

I thought a steel ball would lack grip and maybe it was subsequently rubberised.

Whatever, I'm keeping it because the Mac is useless without it and I haven't got another!

John
Old 31st May 2020, 10:41 am   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I don't know these machines but I'm struck by how similar the desktop is to that of the Atari ST. I can understand now why the Atari ST was dubbed the 'Jackintosh' (after Jack Tramiel, who ran Atari at the time).
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 11:31 am   #5
Timbucus
Hexode

Lovely machine - I cannot believe I took mine to the Skip - sigh.
Timbucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 11:43 am   #6
wireless_john
Hexode

Skip! I have binned things in the past and subsequently discovered that actually, that was quite rare and iconic in its way and perhaps binning it wasn't a good idea. I've no doubt lots of us have done that!

My children played with the Mac endlessly, or they would have done if I hadn't rationed it. Now it's the grandchildren's turn, and rationing isn't my problem!

John
Old 31st May 2020, 2:39 pm   #7
Timbucus
Hexode

Yes we have - so far my lost inventory includes a TS2068, Memotech 512 and perhaps a worse situation was the use of an issue 1 ZX Spectrum as part of a fancy dress - along with an Amstrad serial port I think...

Click image for larger version

Name:	casborg.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	207303
Timbucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 4:45 pm   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless_john View Post
No, neither have I.

I read this: 'Unique to this mouse was the use of a steel ball, instead of the usual rubber found in subsequent and modern mice.'

I thought a steel ball would lack grip and maybe it was subsequently rubberised.

Whatever, I'm keeping it because the Mac is useless without it and I haven't got another!

John
I will have to dig through my collection but I am pretty sure I've seen another mouse with an uncoated steel ball. I think it was a 3-button thing so certainly not for a Lisa or Mac.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 11:26 pm   #9
arjoll
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless_john View Post
Skip! I have binned things in the past and subsequently discovered that actually, that was quite rare and iconic in its way and perhaps binning it wasn't a good idea. I've no doubt lots of us have done that!
Not skipped, but I gave away two Mac Portables, four IBM 5160s,a Panasonic Senior Partner and a Toshiba T3100SX.... regret all of them
Oh and gutted an IBM 5170 to swap in a 486SX motheboard. That one is a particular regret as it had a PGC and monitor - still have the PCG, no idea what happened to the monitor or the rest of the system.
arjoll is offline   Reply With Quote