UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2014, 12:54 am   #1
murphymad
Heptode

Default BVWS Harpenden - 1st June 2014

Hi All,

I have just sent the Harpenden Auction catalogue to Paul for the BVWS website.

He will make it available and let everyone know when he has the time.

There are 250 listed auction lots, but there will be at least another 30 added between now and Sunday.

There is still large quantities of Valves to be added, a couple of valve testers and still plenty of 1920's, 30's-60's radios and test equipment.
Who knows, I may even go further than 30 more, just depends on space in the van.

There are still a few stalls available at Harpenden, so if you would like to take a boot load of stuff to sell, then get in touch with Vic Williams (number in the Bulletin or BVWS website).

See you all there,

Mike...
Old 28th May 2014, 8:26 am   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: BVWS Harpenden - 1st June 2014

Catalogue attached. I'll add it to the BVWS website in an hour or so.

EDIT: Now on the website too.

EDIT 2: See post #6 for updated catalogue (earlier removed from this post to avoid confusion).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 30th May 2014 at 9:32 am.
Old 29th May 2014, 10:58 pm   #3
Danny
Heptode

Wow what a show lots of nice items would like to know more about lot 248 small round tv crt . Danny
Old 29th May 2014, 11:00 pm   #4
murphymad
Heptode

Danny,

Even the owner does not know any more about it.
I will take a look at it on Sunday morning and try to identify it.

Mike...
Old 29th May 2014, 11:07 pm   #5
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Lots of interesting things but not many pre war Murphy radios or hugue Tektronix oscilloscopes this time
Will make an effort to go though!!
Christopher Capener
Old 30th May 2014, 9:32 am   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Final catalogue from Mike attached (and going on the website shortly).

275 lots now, and he says he can't fit any more on the van, so the only additions now will be anything added on the day.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Final_Harpenden Auction June 2014.pdf (64.5 KB, 893 views)

Paul Stenning
Old 30th May 2014, 12:27 pm   #7
Tazman1966
Nonode

A very interesting and tempting auction. Once again though, I won't be able to go as we're away for the weekend at a wedding! And with Harpenden only up the road from me too
Old 30th May 2014, 11:52 pm   #8
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Shame Tas, I was about to text you.
Have a good weekend!

Cheers
Old 31st May 2014, 10:25 pm   #9
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: BVWS Harpenden - 1st June 2014

Good evening,
I presume entry is at 9:30am as usual?
Many thanks,
ChristophER Capener
Old 1st Jun 2014, 8:25 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Back home after a good but tiring day.

Numbers were noticeably down on the previous one, which may raise questions about the future of the Summer Harpenden (I think the next committee meeting will be in a couple of weeks). Auction prices were very low too, a DAC90A sold for just £5 for example, and some lots struggled to get any bids.

Mike had to drop the £5 minimum bid rule as an exception this time, because the van was full with stuff collected for a future auction so there was no space to take back anything unsold. Several lots still failed to sell, and at least one (a colsole set) was smashed up and dumped in the bin. A few others were given away right at the end of the day to save them from the same fate.

I hadn't planned to buy anything but gave into temptation with a Bush VHF61 which is the same set as my grandparents had, for £15 in the auction. I'd owned one before but sold it as it was in fairly poor condition. Today's was much nicer and will restore very well.

I met and chatted with a few forum members too, which is always nice.

Paul Stenning
Old 1st Jun 2014, 9:18 pm   #11
audiomagpie
Heptode

A long but very enjoyable day. Yes, numbers were down a bit, probably the good weather worked against us! I don't think we've ever done such a large auction (just under 300 lots) in such a record time.

I went home with a 1924 Brown mini horn speaker, never seen one that small before and I just had to have it!

There were very many bargains to be had, at all price levels, and without a doubt, our meetings have got to be the best, safest and most secure way to obtain vintage radio/TV and associated stuff, see before you buy!

Looking forward to Royal Wootton Bassett next month!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 1st Jun 2014, 10:00 pm   #12
RGD Dennis
Retired Dormant Member

Yes I attended Harpenden but did not stay for the auction.

I also noticed that there did not seem to be so many people there, does anyone think it may be that it was too close to the NVCF?
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 8:37 am   #13
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

As usual, it was an excellent day for meeting people. It certainly wasnt over-crowded!

There were bargains to be had on many stalls, and particularly on the Bring & buy.

The auction was a lot of hard work for Mike, (after having to work just to get the sound system operating) and many Lots didnt reach the prices that have been common recently, and some failed to get a bid.

I had intended to buy 2 radios, (which I got) but saw a valve I particularly wanted in one of the trays, so bought that too.
Although I am trying to have a clear out, and not buy anything, I did succumb to a couple of radios and a Mullard HSVT.

For all those members who didn't attend, or didn't stay for the auction, you really missed a chance to get some bargains.
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 9:05 am   #14
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: BVWS Harpenden - 1st June 2014

I got a few things there yesterday.
I had a nice HP RF signal generator on the B+B stall plus some caps from the BVWS stand. It was fairly quiet and did not stay for the auction. I had a few of the interesting looking modules someone had put on a wall outside for free.

Did anyone buy or own up to that poor Pye B18T with a radio bodged in that was also on the B+B stall?
Christopher Capener
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 10:04 am   #15
threeseven
Octode

Greatly enjoyed Harpenden as usual. Apart from browsing through loads of stuff we like, I get to natter to all sorts of people, from those I already know to those I've never met, and it's amazing what can be learned from those encounters. Prices were indeed very low, great swathes of radios went for £2-£5, about the price of a magazine! The best item I successfully bid for was a Philips 588A in fab, restored condition, at £22 that was a steal!! I noticed quite a few people looking at it during the pre auction viewing, so I was expecting to pay much more for it. I'm REALLY pleased with that! Also had a few bargains off the bring and buy as usual.
Many thanks to all concerned with organising and facilitating the event. It is alot of hard work.
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 10:40 am   #16
audiomagpie
Heptode

Threeseven, yes that Philips looked beautifully restored, I agree you did have a real bargain there, no too long ago something like that would have sold upwards of £150, I'm sure!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 6:56 pm   #17
threeseven
Octode

It gets better! Initial inspection of a box of old service manuals, bought for £2 with the thought that there must be something useful in it, what did I find? An original PYE V4 TV manual complete with service updates, official mods and a common fault sheet! Which is very opportune as I acquired a V4 in the most fantastic condition only recently! I powered it up, sorry, we powered it up at mikey 405's bash recently and apart from needing some recapping to sort a dodgy raster it was all good!
So, Harpenden was very good to me this time Which has cheered me up no end as I've been having some negative issues recently
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 10:53 am   #18
greenstar
Octode

Christopher, I picked up the Pye TV/radio bodge for the chassis within, just for parts. I was able to pass on the back to somebody almost immediately, and still have the case, which apart from some added holes is in good condition - available if anyone can use it, see 'offers'.
I was very happy to win a Marconi Receiver Tester in the auction, with a manual and working, for £5, and found part of a Marconi wavetrap, mid 20's on a stall.
A good day, but a shame to see so many sets going for £2, some not selling at that.
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 7:11 pm   #19
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Several lots still failed to sell, and at least one (a console set) was smashed up and dumped in the bin.
Yes shame about that Decola Paul. I think the PX25's were pulled before the hammer came down. It certainly looked like a Decola and I could just make out the 'D' on the name plate.

I bought some nice caps from Jeffrey's table top sale. I also purchased a Philco People's set from the auction. I had to bring to a closure the fate of my Nans 444 back in 1960. I busted it up for the parts and regretted it ever since. This 444 is very original and powered up with just crackles and pops. Decoupling capacitor to screen of IF amp and frequency changer was S/C. Replacing brought it back to life with incredible volume and sensitivity. Great value for £6-6s back in 1936. A weekend of fun! Regards, John.
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 7:25 pm   #20
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Yes, the valves, chassis and speaker were rescued, so it was just the cabinet that was destroyed. If it was a Decola and they were PX25's I suspect it may have attracted some bids though!

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread