UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2007, 5:29 pm   #1
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Default How to replace a metal rectifier on a pre-war radio?

I have a few pre-war radios with metal rectifiers, some of which are not performing as well as they should.

I know that they are generally replaced with a 1N4007 diode, but what value resistor do you use with it generally, and does it go before or after the diode? A general value would be fine.

Thank you.

Peter.
Old 25th Aug 2007, 6:37 pm   #2
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Default Re: How to replace a metal rectifier on a pre-war radio?

100 Ohms
Old 25th Aug 2007, 7:01 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

It's in series so it doesn't matter which side of the rectifier. Some might say 150R or even 220R, especially for a small set with not much HT current. Use a 2 watt modern film resistor or a small wirewound.
Old 25th Aug 2007, 7:18 pm   #4
Neil Purling
Nonode

Well, I used 100R. I think it is rated 10W, in a 3 valve kit radio. Maybe the resistance and power rating are off a little. I also put a capacitor in parallel with the diode.
The resistor has to limit the switch-on surge yet not have any adverse effect on the HT voltage. 50-250 ohms I was told. As for the parallel capacitor? It is there to clean up any hash the diode could produce. Value between 0.01 and 0.1uf, X2 rated of course.
Old 25th Aug 2007, 7:51 pm   #5
Station X

Why do you need to reduce switch on surge? I can understand that this might be a problem when replacing a valve rectifier where the current increases slowly as the heater warms up, but don't metal rectifiers and silicon diodes/rectifiers both conduct the full current instantly? This will rush into the smoothing capacitors, but the valves will need to warm up before they start pulling HT current.

I think that silicon diodes have a lower forward volt drop than metal rectifiers, so the HT voltage wiil be higher unless a dropper resistor is used.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th Aug 2007, 8:44 pm   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, the easly rectifiers were usually copper oxide. These slowly went higher resistance and did not die with the release of toxic gasses like selenium rectifiers.
They did have an higher forward resistance than modern diodes, hence the series resistor.
The parallel capacitor (ideally a C/R combination) is there to reduce the effects of incoming mains spikes, there will be no switching hash from a "slow" 1N4004 diode on 50Hz supplies. An X cap is not the ideal component here. These are usually rated at 250V AC. This cap will "see" the full Peak mains voltage (when the supply swings negative), plus the peak rectified DC on the smoothing caps. A 1000V or 1500v component would be best here, with a value of between 1000pF and 10nF max. Too high a value may increase hum levels.
Having said the above, an X cap will probably work perfectly well and has the advantage of dying quietly when they do expire.

Ed
Old 25th Aug 2007, 9:13 pm   #7
Mersey_Swimmer
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
An X cap is not the ideal component here. These are usually rated at 250V AC. This cap will "see" the full Peak mains voltage (when the supply swings negative), plus the peak rectified DC on the smoothing caps. A 1000V or 1500v component would be best here, with a value of between 1000pF and 10nF max.

Ed
But a "Y" ceramic part should be OK. I'm sure these are rated at something like 3kV DC.

Pete
Old 25th Aug 2007, 9:32 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Strictly speaking you don't need a surge limiting resistor if the radio has been fitted with modern caps. The idea is to mimic the electrical characteristics of the metal rectifier being replaced, which as others have said would have a significant forward resistance even when new. A resistor makes life easier for the other components. The value of the resistor certainly isn't critical. Personally I think it's not worth losing sleep over. I fit something like a 100-220 ohm resistor, whatever I have in the spares box, and check the HT voltage to make sure it sin't too far out (it usually isn't).

Paul
Old 26th Aug 2007, 1:01 am   #9
PJL
Dekatron

I usually choose a resistor that sets the HT to the trader sheet value.

I think the resistor is a good idea - there is otherwise the potential of a massive surge current when the mains switch is turned on and I suspect this is not good for the rectifier, reservoir capacitor or the mains switch and is likely to generate plenty of EMI.
Old 26th Aug 2007, 9:50 am   #10
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, agreed with Mesery Swimmer that the Y cap is probably the best, and generally available in the correct sort of values.

Ed
Old 26th Aug 2007, 11:19 am   #11
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Thanks guys for the advice, I'll experiment with something in the region of 100-220 ohms to get the advised HT voltage, where available.

All of my sets have all had their condensers replaced (with the exception of mica ones) so hopefully they should all be alright.

Peter.
Closed Thread