UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2007, 2:55 pm   #1
G Barham
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush SW45

I've just been given an old Bush SW45 ...it makes an effort at working with crackles and pops emeanating from the speaker and the magic eye (very dim) responding and one or two stations coming in..

The problem is this ...about half the bulbs are not working (it seems to use a lot) the speaker cloth is badly torn and I suspect it needs a jolly good seeing to.

So, do I

a) Scrap it
b) Get someone to do it up - the cabinet is not too bad and it has all it's original bits.
c) Sell it to some keen but misguided individual who probably has too many sets needing TLC already.
d) Offer it in exchange for something completely useless - Like a WW2 tank or even a V1 rocket.

It seems a shame to scrap it as it has a lovely tuning thingy with not only the magic eye but a circle of pointers with lights behind to indicate the position of the slow-motion fine tuning.

Any info on the thing would be appreciated...age etc.

Thanks

Tony.
Old 24th Aug 2007, 3:08 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush SW45

Hi Tony.

I've got one where the cabinet was done up but not the electrics. I believe the bloke died. Then I had a stroke so it's still not done.

They are a good set though, and from what you say it's not in too bad nick. I'm fairly sure it's pre-war.

If you get something on it already, then it's definitely worth doing up. Have a go yourself - there's only one way to learn. If you use the other half of this site, you'll find everything you need and we're here to help on here.

http://www.vintage-radio.com/

Go on, you know you want to. Besides, I haven't got a WW2 tank, and if I did I'd use it to go shopping......

Cheers,

Steve P

Last edited by Station X; 24th Aug 2007 at 4:57 pm.
Old 24th Aug 2007, 3:12 pm   #3
paulsherwin

You certainly shouldn't scrap it unless it's a complete wreck. The SW45 is an attractive high quality set and with its tuned RF stage should be a good performer.

Paul Stenning has the manufacturer's data sheets for this set - click on the link at the top right of this page.

I'm sure other forum members would be keen to take it off your hands if you don't want it - post an offer in the appropriate section.

Paul
Old 24th Aug 2007, 3:21 pm   #4
G Barham
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Steve but my main problem is one of time ..

From what I've read on here I suspect I would need a set of valves (including what is an expensive magic eye), a handfull of 0.1uF caps, a can of switch cleaner and a few dial bulbs.

I'm actually an industrial instrument / electrical eng. rather than an electronics one but I did start my work life with Reddiffusion in 1963 but mainly did audio equipment with big valves and things.
Old 24th Aug 2007, 3:26 pm   #5
G Barham
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that Paul...I really don't have time to get it done up ...and to be honest I can't get into my workshop/garage , it's full to the brim with nice tecccy things... (or if the fiancees within earshot ...junk).

I think I'll stick it on the for sale pages....it's b........ heavy 'cause it's got a huge mains tranny and a choke rather than a magnet for the speaker (think hernia).

All the best and thanks for the info.

Tony.

PS Stop Press ....I've just rung Trevor in Bristol and he would like it.

Thanks to all for info.

Last edited by G Barham; 24th Aug 2007 at 3:36 pm.
Old 24th Aug 2007, 7:19 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Barham View Post
From what I've read on here I suspect I would need a set of valves (including what is an expensive magic eye).
Many people assume the valves in old radios will be bad, but this isn't usually the case. Valves don't deteriorate because of age alone so if the valves were OK when this set went out of use, they'll be OK now. You may be right about the magic eye though, since these are largely cosmetic and owners usually didn't replace them when they went dim.

Paul
Old 24th Aug 2007, 8:12 pm   #7
G Barham
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Many people assume the valves in old radios will be bad, but this isn't usually the case. Valves don't deteriorate because of age alone so if the valves were OK when this set went out of use, they'll be OK now. You may be right about the magic eye though, since these are largely cosmetic and owners usually didn't replace them when they went dim.

Paul

Hi Paul,

If I had a few pounds spare I'd wager that you either own, or have access to a nice valve tester ?

The Magic eye is an EM4 (pricey) ....but I'm sure that someone here could come up with a design to replace them and the similar EM34 with a solid state version (perhaps liquid chrystal), get the Chinese to make them, then you and I could import them for 25p and sell them to the hundreds of vintage radio restorers for 26p ?

Best regards

Tony

Last edited by G Barham; 24th Aug 2007 at 8:18 pm.
Old 25th Aug 2007, 10:36 am   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

It's from 1937/8 according to http://www.bushradio.co.uk/
Closed Thread