UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2007, 10:06 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default HMV valve radio - model number ?

Hello,

Does anyone recognise this set believed to be an HMV ? It's been offered to me but first I'd like to know something about it. Thanks.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9fe2_1.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	11372  
Old 7th Aug 2007, 10:48 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: HMV valve radio - model number ?

Hi Howard, I believe that set is an HMV 1124 from 1953, The chassis is the same as the earlier 1121 from 1950. .

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...light=hmv+1124

Regards, Mick.
Old 7th Aug 2007, 11:06 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Thanks Mick,

It's quite an interesting radio but I think I'll give it a miss. It's too big and I prefer sets with VHF.

Regards .... Howard
Old 8th Aug 2007, 12:40 am   #4
squinancy
Retired Dormant Member

The HMV 1124 also had a slightly earlier, a bit less bulky, and frankly more attractive, icarnation than the one seen on the first photo, that is:

http://www.dundeecoll.ac.uk/sections..._radio/hmv.htm

The chassis and the valve line-up are exactly the same as in the later 1124. In spite of the closeness I find it strange that they ran under the same number. Perhaps someone can shed more light on this.

An excellent overview of many HMV sets, incl 1120 and 1124, can be found here:

http://www.classaxe.com/wireless/data/sets/?mode=names
Old 8th Aug 2007, 12:46 am   #5
squinancy
Retired Dormant Member

P.s.: It is more likely that the 1121 is often mistaken for a 1124:

See items 6 and 7 from the top:
http://vintageradio.me.uk/valve/valve4.htm
Old 8th Aug 2007, 8:13 am   #6
mervyn
Hexode

have one with me, shortwave was particulaly good ..i like them.. was the first radio i heard radio australia on with 4 ft of wire
Old 10th Aug 2007, 6:48 pm   #7
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

I have a HMV 1121 which I restored. It is a really nice radio which you should not pass up on lightly. The tone control also varies the bandwidth of the IF and with the tone control in the Hi-Fi position together with the large eliptical speaker, you get great sounding audio. Those four edge-lit glass dials look gorgeous in dim lighting.

The radio was dirt cheap when I bought it because the power transformer needed replacing and all those rare Marconi brand valves were worn out. Most of them had US equivalents but that X78 7 pin triode hexode frequency changer has no equivalent in any brand. I could not locate a X78 so I subtituted a 6BE6 and a 6C4 for which I had to punch a mounting hole.

These changes gave me a fine working radio. I noticed that the valve mounting holes in the chassis were all punched for octals and the 7 pin valve sockets used adaptor plates to fit in the holes. I later thought that I could have mounted an octal valve in place of the X78 such as a 6K8.
John.
Old 11th Aug 2007, 12:54 am   #8
squinancy
Retired Dormant Member

I totally agree about the value of the HMV 1121. The tone control is a pleasure to engage with, especially if the associated paper condensers have been tested and replaced if necessary. Experienced restorers say that the miniature valves X78, W77 and DH77, encapsulated as they are in pressdown metal tubes (same in 1124), cannot give off heat other than towards the bases. This often causes troube, damage to the bases and components below. Therefore, substituting them is a clever idea. I retained them for "purist" reasons. Yet getting hold of a less tired X78 is giving me a headache as well. Odd that there is no equivalent. I wonder why. The whole of Google seems unable to come up with a place or person who has one for sale used or new. Perhaps a thread could be started in the Help section about the X78. In any case, it is good to hear that there are quite a number of 1121's still hurtling along.
Closed Thread