UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2007, 7:59 pm   #1
Ian B
Hexode

Default FJ Camm Hallmark 3

Last Sunday at a car boot sale I bought a box of assorted old radio stuff.
It included what I take to be a kit set of the 1930's. The "chassis" is wood with a sort of metallic paint finish, there is a transfer in one corner which has "METAPLEX" in a diamond, with Peto Scott written in the border of the logo. Three B4/5 valves (missing), a 2 gang tuning condernser and 2 coils with labels "Hallmark 3 FJ Camm" "no1" & "no2". I assume this is a design which was published in Practical Wireless. I'd like to try to get it working, but the wiring is a nightmare mess, so has anyone got a copy of the circuit and/or blueprint from PW?

Thanks,
Ian Blackbourn
Old 7th Aug 2007, 9:52 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: FJ Camm Hallmark 3

Hi Ian, that sounds an interesting find, I'm sure I've seen adverts for Metalplex in mags about the early 30's.
Note that not all of his circuits were in PW, some were only in the various books he also published. I've had a quick look in my Practical Wireless Circuits books, but they may not go back far enough.
I believe there was a site that had a listing of all FJC's circuits, can any other members think of the link?
It should not be too difficult to get working, you have the essential items, the coils. There should be a variety of valves that will do.

Good Luck, Ed
Old 8th Aug 2007, 10:17 am   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

Ian, I have a scanned copy of PW from 1935 which covers the circuitry of the Hallmark 4 (not 3) in AC, battery and AC/DC forms. I have nothing describing the Hallmark 3, sorry - but if the stuff I do have as described is of use to you, PM me with your email and I'll send it (it is in .pdf form)
-Tony
Old 8th Aug 2007, 5:59 pm   #4
Ian B
Hexode

Tony,
Thanks for the offer, my attention was drawn to the picture of a PW cover on page 87 of your book!
I'd be very grateful for any info you could send. I've already sent you an email about the book, address will be on there.

Regards,
Ian Blackbourn
Old 8th Aug 2007, 9:31 pm   #5
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

I've got F J Camm's 'Practical Wireless Circuits' with 6 or 7 three valve designs, amongst others. None of them are described as the 'Hallmark' but if you can post details or a photos of the set, I'll scan a couple of the most likely ones.

In the back, there's a list for Practical Wireless Blueprint service. One of the sets is the 'Hall-Mark Cadet' which is a three valve TRF - valve line-up (D, LF, Pen(RC)) PW Blueprint 48. Nothing in the book is anything like that.

The problem is that FJC produced a lot of books and articles and loads of designs.

Is there any chance that the modern PW could help?

Pete.
Old 9th Aug 2007, 7:57 pm   #6
Ian B
Hexode

Thanks Pete, I've got a copy of Camm's book, but as you say, there is nothing like it in there.
I looked in the back of an odd pre-war copy of PW at the Blueprint service list.
It seems the Hallmark 3 was described in the issue of 8th December 1934. The blueprint is PW41. Anyone got a copy?

Thanks,
Ian
Closed Thread