UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 27th Dec 2020, 10:09 pm   #1
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Default Philips Philetta

Hello,
This Christmas Eve drove my mother-in-law's 1962 Philips Philetta "kitchen radio" to me for service. "It is as always was: It may do it for a while, then it will shut up suddenly, and the other day it will do it all day long or not. Must be a minor fault, please have a look at it! It think it is becoming worse by the time"
It is the E-series valve type version (ECC85, ECH 81, EABC 80, EL 95), so indeed rather straightforward design. Well, about 20 years ago I did a recap and put new valves in. Today I found sticky pots and defective scale illumination bulbs. Nothing else? A close look behind the dial: The Dutch Philips crew did not solder the + and - terminals of the selenium rectifier! Just the wires put through and bent! And this way the set has been in operation ever since!

Soldering the terminals correctly did help: Now it does not shut up any more.

Regards, joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philetta20201227_123659.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	223295  

Last edited by Joe_Lorenz; 27th Dec 2020 at 10:10 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 28th Dec 2020, 10:27 am   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips Philetta

Well done Joe it's nice to find a definite cure, when the fault is intermittent love these little radios. Mick.
Old 28th Dec 2020, 12:06 pm   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Yes, well done, intermittent faults were the Bain of my life for the 50 years I was in the trade. It quite amazing though how long sets will go on working with them, often its until the wire or tag oxidises and creates a high resistance.

Peter
Old 28th Dec 2020, 1:13 pm   #4
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Yes those little radios are nice but sometimes too many components crammed inside.

Though the Philetta models are still no hassle to fix, there are much worse sets around. The mains transformers tended to go open circuit in many cases as I remember.

Regards, Joe
Old 25th Jan 2021, 9:35 am   #5
majoconz
Heptode

Angry Re: Philips Philetta

Which brings us to the question that you can never answer. "How do you know that you have fixed an intermittant fault?"

Yes, I found a fault that would display all of the symptoms of the defect. Yes, but how do you know that there isn't another defect with a longer MTBF?...
...and so on ad infinitum.
Old 25th Jan 2021, 9:53 am   #6
vinrads
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoconz View Post
Which brings us to the question that you can never answer. "How do you know that you have fixed an intermittant fault?"

Yes, I found a fault that would display all of the symptoms of the defect. Yes, but how do you know that there isn't another defect with a longer MTBF?...
...and so on ad infinitum.
Ah time will tell. Mick.
Old 25th Jan 2021, 11:49 am   #7
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Lorenz View Post
Yes those little radios are nice but sometimes too many components crammed inside.

Though the Philetta models are still no hassle to fix, there are much worse sets around. The mains transformers tended to go open circuit in many cases as I remember.
The Philetta models are really nice radios, but for some reason Philips GB never made their own version or imported the German ones, so they were very rare sets in the UK. Some were bought by British military personnel stationed in Germany in the 1950s and 60s. They were allowed to buy them without paying German or British taxes.
Old 25th Jan 2021, 12:15 pm   #8
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Lorenz View Post

The Philetta models are really nice radios, but for some reason Philips GB never made their own version or imported the German ones, so they were very rare sets in the UK. Some were bought by British military personnel stationed in Germany in the 1950s and 60s. They were allowed to buy them without paying German or British taxes.
Ive got Philips Philetta sat in my workshop on a shelf waiting for me to be brave enough to attempt looking at it .
As you say its pretty rammed inside which puts me off a bit, ive never even switched it on although its been there for quite a while now.
Old 26th Jan 2021, 8:59 am   #9
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Nice to find that long-established ‘fault waiting to happen’ and it’s very satisfying when you can track it down. I once traced a dry joint in a valve tester that had been present since it was built in 1946, but as it only showed up when testing one specific type of valve it’s perhaps unsurprising that no-one had found it before!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread